1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
6...... Jacob Hinshaw (1710-1796) m Rebecca Mackey (c1716-1796)
7....... Benjamin Hinshaw (1738-1840) m Elisabeth Hinshaw (1750-1823)
8........ William Hinshaw (1789-1854) m Ruth Hinshaw (1791-1836)
9......... Martin Hinshaw (1827-1906) m Rachel Barker (1828-1904)
10.......... Jesse R. Hinshaw (1868-1946)
+Emma Alice Grissom (1869-1954)
11........... Donna Hinshaw (1890-) 1,2,3,4,5
11........... Arla L. Hinshaw (1893-) 1,2,3
11........... Forrest Glenn Hinshaw (1895-1929) 2,3,5,6
Jesse R. Hinshaw [ID 11397]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Jesse R. Hinshaw2,7,8 [Jesse R. Henshaw9].
Born May - 1868, Illinois.1,2,3,4,8,10,11
He married Emma Alice Grissom6,9,12 [Emma A. Grisson6, Emmi Grismore13], Jul 12 18906,9,12, Cumberland County, Illinois6,9,12. Emma, daughter of Nelson Grissom & Susan Park, was born Aug - 1869, Illinois.1,2,3,12,13,14 (Oct 10 1869).15
Jesse and family were shown in the 1895 Iowa state census, Washington, Montgomery County, Iowa:1
Jesse Hinshaw, age 26, born in Illinois.
Emma A. Hinshaw, age 24, born in Illinois.
Also living in Washington, Iowa in 1895 were Jesse's parents and also brother John.1
Jesse and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 9 1900), Washington Township, Montgomery County, Iowa:2
Hinshaw, Jesse R., head-of-household, age 32, born May 1868 in Illinois; parents born in North Carolina; married 10 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm (mortgaged).
Hinshaw, Emma A., wife, age 30, born Aug 1869 in Illinois; parents born in Indiana; married 10 years; 3 children, 3 living.
Hinshaw, Dona I.
, daughter, age 9, born Sept 1890 in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; attended school 8 months.
Hinshaw, Arla L.
, son, age 7, born Mar 1893 in Iowa; parents born in Illinois; attended school 8 months.
Pogue, Frank, boarder, age 21, born Dec 1878 in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; occupation: farm laborer.
Living next door in 1900 were Jesse's parents.16
Jesse and family were shown in the 1910 census (May 16 1910), Milan Township, Spokane County, Washington:3
Hinshaw, Jessie R., head-of-household, age 42, born in Illinois; parents born in North Carolina; first marriage, married 21 years.
Hinshaw, Emma, wife, age 40, born in Illinois; parents born in Indiana; first marriage, married 21 years; 3 children, 3 living.
Jesse and Emma apparently separated sometime before 1920. Jesse was shown in the 1920 census living in a boarding house at 574 1st Ave. West, Spokane, Spokane County, Washington:10
[ ... numerous other boarders ... ]
Hinshaw, Jesse R., age 51, born in Illinois; parents born in North Carolina; married; livestock dealer.
Emma Alice and children were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 17 1920), Brighton, Adams County, Colorado:5
Hinshaw, Alice, head-of-household, age 48, born in Illinois; parents born in Indiana; married; rented home; occupation: rooming house.
, daughter, age 28, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; divorced; occupation: musician.
, son, age 24, born in Iowa; parents born in Illinois; single; occupation: [..unclear..] cashier, bank.
Jesse and Emma divorced sometime before 1930.4 In 1921 Emma was living in California.14 In 1954 Emma was living at 808 N. 4th St., Phoenix, Arizona.15 Emma died Jul 15 1954, Southside Hospital, Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona; age 84.15
In 1929 Jesse was living with his son Forrest at 707 South 1st Ave., Phoenix, Arizona.6
Jesse was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 2 1930), living in the household of daughter Donna at 505 Division, Spokane, Spokane County, Washington:4
Snyder [or Snydori - unclear], Thomas P.
, head-of-household, age 40, born in Virginia; parents born in Virginia; first married at age 31; rented home ($18 rent); radio in home; occupation: contractor, shop; World War I veteran.
", Donna I.
, wife, age 39, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; first married at age 26.
Hinshaw, Jesse R., father, age 71, born in Illinois; parents born in North Carolina; divorced; first married at age 21; occupation: foreman, stock ranch; not a war veteran.
Jesse R. Hinshaw died Apr 5 1946, Spokane, Spokane County, Washington; age 77.8
Photo: Emma Alice Grissom death certificate Maricopa County, Arizona
- Iowa State Census, 1895; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Montgomery County, Iowa; ED 117, page 168A-B, line #48, dwelling #71, family #71.
- 1910 census, Milan Township, Spokane County, Washington; roll T624-1669, ED 132, page 296B, line #64, dwelling #19, family #19.
- 1930 census, 1st Ward, Spokane, Spokane County, Washington; roll T626-2517, ED 82, page 8A, line #37, dwelling #11, family #12.
- 1920 census, Brighton, Adams County, Colorado; roll T625-155, ED 6, page 8A, line #32, dwelling #169, family #180.
- Death certificate of Forrest Glenn Hinshaw;
State of Arizona, Department of Health Services: http://genealogy.az.gov.
- Contribution from Susan Campbell () citing:
Card of thanks published after the death of J.L. Hinshaw.
- Washington Death Index, 1940-1996; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900 (book 1, page 53):
- 1920 census, Spokane, Spokane County, Washington; roll T625-1941, page 5B, line #51, dwelling #29, family #309.
- 1870 census, Sumpter Township, Cumberland County, Illinois; page 241, line #16, dwelling #26, family #26.
- 1880 census, Johnstown P.O., Cottonwood Township, Cumberland County, Illinois; roll T9-0183, ED 61, page 479C, line #25, dwelling #160, family #164.
- 1870 census, Johnstown P.O., Cottonwood Township, Cumberland County, Illinois; roll M593-214, page 228, line #14, dwelling #75, family #75.
- Obituary of Susan (Park) (Grissom) Hiatt; posted Sep 11 2006 by Maribel () to ILCUMBER-L.
- Death certificate of Emma Alice Grissom;
State of Arizona, Department of Health Services: http://genealogy.az.gov
- 1900 census, Washington Township, Montgomery County, Iowa; ED 117, page 168B, line #54, dwelling #72, family #72.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]