1. Frederick Handschuh m Maria Catharina -
2.. Henry Hanshew (1783-1866) m Barbara Thomas (1792-1855)
3... John Hanshew (1811-1870) m Rosannah Merideth (1812-?)
4.... Amos Sylvester Hanshew (1848-1925)
+Esther Jane Hanshew
5..... Elmer Franklin Hanshew (1871-1954) 1,2,3,4
+Ula M. Wright (1845-?)
+Mary Ellen Stephens (c1863-1941)
Amos Sylvester Hanshew [ID 15238]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Amos Sylvester Hanshew5,6 [Sylvester A. Hanshew7,8,9,10,11].
Born Mar - 1848, Indiana.7,9,11 (1847).8,10 (c1846).6
Sylvester was shown in the 1870 census (Jun 14 1870), living in the household of a Henry Cochran and family in Duck Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana:8
Cochran, Henry, age 49, born in Ohio; parents foreign-born; lumber manufacturer; $3000 real estate; $500 personal property.
Cochran, Rebecca, age 46, born in Ohio; keeping house; cannot write.
Cochran, Thomas, age 24, born in Indiana; teamster; $200 personal property.
Cochran, William, age 19, born in Indiana; engineer in s. mill.
Cochran, Elizabeth, age 15, born in Indiana; attended school.
Cochran, Eliza, age 9, born in Indiana.
Cochran, Henry, age 3, born in Indiana.
Hanshew, Sylvester, age 23, born in Indiana; works in s. mill; $100 personal property; cannot read or write.
Living two houses away in 1870 was the family of brother James R. Hanshew.12
It appears that Sylvester had a relationship with his first cousin, Esther Jane Hanshew. The death certificate for Esther Janes's daughter, Rosa Alice Swarts, recorded her parents as Sylvester Hanshaw (born in Pennsylvania) and Esther J. Hanshaw (born in Tipton County, Indiana)13 Also, the marriage record, death certificate, and the obituary for Sylvester's son, Elmer Franklin Hanshew, recorded his parents as Sylvester and Jane Hanshew.2,3,4 Elmer Franklin Hanshew's obituary also mentioned a half brother, Jesse Maroney, and a half sister, Mrs. Lulu Rose. both known children of Esther Jane Hanshew.
He married Ula M. Wright, about 1890.7 Ula was born Oct - 1845, Indiana.7 Ula had been previously married and had one son, Cora M. Wright. It appears from the 1900 census that Cora had owned a farm and Sylvester moved into her household.14
Sylvester and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 13 1900), Madison Township, Tipton County, Indiana:7
Hanshew, Ula M., head-of-household, age 54, born Oct 1845 in Indiana; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Maryland; married 10 years; 1 child, 1 living; owned farm.
Hanshew, Sylvester A., husband, age 52, born Mar 1848 in Indiana; parents birthplaces unknown; married 10 years; farmer; owned farm.
Wright, Cora M., son, male, age 16, born Dec 1880 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; farm laborer.
Kendall, Ella, servant, age 38, born July 1861 in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; single; house keeper.
He then married Mary Ellen Stephens, about 1891.5,15 Mary, daughter of Martin M. Stephens & Roxy Ann Mirely, was born about 1863, Indiana.5,15 (1865).10,16 (c1867).9 Mary had been previously married to John M. Wright.5
Sylvester and Mary were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 15-16 1910), Henry Township, Henry County, Indiana:15
Hanshew, Amos S., head-of-household, age 60, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; married 19 years; occupation: farmer, general farm; owned farm (free).
Hanshew, Mary E., wife, age 47, born in Indiana; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Maryland; married 19 years; 1 child, 1 living.
Sylvester and Mary were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 13-14 1920), New Castle, Henry County, Indiana:9
Hanshew, Sylvester, head-of-household, age 72, born in Indiana; parents born in United States; owned home; occupation: farmer.
Hanshew, Mary E., wife, age 53, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana.
Amos Sylvester Hanshew died 1925, Polk County, Florida; buried City of Elwood Cemetery, Elwood, Madison County, Indiana.10,11,17
Mary died 1941, buried City of Elwood Cemetery, Elwood, Madison County, Indiana.10,16
- Posting Dec 3 2003 by John Anderson to the Hanshew message board:
- Elmer Franklin Hanshew marriage record.
- Elmer Franklin Hanshew obituary.
- Elmer Franklin Hanshew death certificate.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by J. Dutch Revenboer ().
- 1850 census, Madison Township, Tipton County, Indiana; roll 176, page 266, dwelling #416.
- 1900 census, Madison Township, Tipton County, Indiana; ED 127, page 191A (sheet 8A), line #39, dwelling #148, family #149.
- 1870 census, Elwood P.O., Duck Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana; roll M593-336, page 97, line #22, dwelling #25, family #25.
- 1920 census, New Castle, Henry County, Indiana; roll T625-437, ED 64, page 5B, line #79, dwelling #118, family #123.
- Madison County Area Cemetery Database; Anderson, Indiana Public Library:
- 1870 census, Elwood P.O., Duck Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana; roll M593-336, page 97, line #7, dwelling #23, family #23.
- Indiana, Death Certificates, 1899-2011; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1910 census, Henry Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll T624-355, ED 84, page 1A, line #22, dwelling #7, family #7.
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2020, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]