1. William Hinshaw (1808-1885)
+Roda Parson (c1806-?)
2.. Elizabeth Hinshaw (c1828-?) 1,2,3
2.. Jane Hinshaw (c1833-?) 1,2,3
2.. Caroline Hinshaw (c1836-?) 1,2,3
2.. Catherine S. Hinshaw (c1838-1916) 1,2,3,4
2.. Jacob Madison Hinshaw (1840-1861) 1,2,5
2.. Betsy An Hinshaw (c1851-?) 1,6,7
+Nancy Reynolds (c1833-1909)
2.. Louisa Hinshaw (1859-1917) 1,6,7,8,9
2.. Andrew Jackson Hinshaw (1861-1925) 7,9,10
2.. John Grant Henshaw (1874-1958) 9,11,12
William Hinshaw [ID 03540]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
William Hinshaw5 [William Henshaw13,14,15,16, William Hinchey17, William Hinchy2, John Henshaw10].
Born Apr 25 1808, North Carolina.5,6,7,9,14,18,19
He married Roda Parson4 [Rhody Parson1]. Roda was born about 1806, North Carolina.1,2
William apparently moved to Greene County, Tennessee sometime between about 1828 (when daughter Elizabeth was born in North Carolina) and 1833 (when daughter Jane was born in Tennessee).2
William and family were shown in the 1850 census, living close to Patterson Hinchey (who might have been a close relative), in Greene County, Tennessee:2,17
William Hinchy, age 46, born in North Carolina; "Potter".
Rhody Hinchy, age 44, born in North Carolina; cannot read or write.
, age 17, born in Tennessee; attended school.
He then married Nancy Reynolds, Feb 7 1858, Greene County, Tennessee.13,14,20 Nancy Reynolds was born about 183314,15,19 [about 18306, about 18327, about 18359], Tennessee6,7,9.
Nancy Reynolds had been previously married a Calvin McFarland, Jan 21 1849, Greene County, Tennessee,21 by whom she had sons Samuel and Nathan,6,7 who seem to have adopted the Hinshaw name when young but reverted to McFarland when they became older.
William and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jul 13-16 1860), Greene County, Tennessee:6
William Hanshaw, age 52, born in North Carolina; "Master Potter"; $50 personal property.
Nancy Hanshaw, age 30, born in Tennessee.
Living next door in 1860 was the family of son Jacob.22
William and family lived in or near Pottertown, Greene County, Tennessee, an area famous for its clay soil and fine earthenware. Legend has it that the area's Hinshaw potters were noted for their churns and large vases.
After William's son Jacob was hanged in 1861 for his Union loyalty, William enlisted in the 2nd Illinois Light Artillery (Company C) at age 53.5,16 He served until he was seriously wounded in the October 1863 engagement at Blue Springs, Tennessee, a few miles from his home.5 Listed as William W. Hinchee in the roster of the "Springfield Independent Light Artillery" (also known as "Thomas F. Vaughn's Independent Battery"), he was mustered in as a Private on Aug 21 186223 (Aug 14 1862),24 showing his residence as Spring Creek23 (probably the historical Spring Creek Settlement of McDonough County); mustered out Jun 30 1865.23 William Henshaw of C Company, 2nd Illinois LA was also reported deserted on Aug 3 1865 (absent, detached at Missouri),24 although since he had mustered out more than a month earlier its likely the report of desertion was probably due to an administrative error with roster records.
William and family were shown in the 1870 census (Sep 26 1870), Greene County, Tennessee:7
Hinshaw, William, age 62, born in North Carolina; potter; $300 real estate; $150 personal property.
Hinshaw, Nancy, age 38, born in Tennessee; keeping house; can read, cannot write.
Hinshaw, Elizabeth A
, age 18, born in Tennessee; keeping house; attended school; can read, cannot write.
, age 17, born in Tennessee; attended school; can read, cannot write.
, age 13, born in Tennessee; attended school; can read, cannot write.
, age 11, born in Tennessee; attended school; can read, cannot write.
William and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15 1880), Greene County, Tennessee:9
Hinshaw, William, age 72, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; farmer.
Hinshaw, Nancy, wife, age 45, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee; keeping house; cannot read or write.
, daughter, age 20, born in Tennessee; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Tennessee; works at home.
, son, age 18, born in Tennessee; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Tennessee; works on farm; cannot read or write.
In June 1880, Nancy Hinshaw applied for a pension as wife of William Hinshaw, invalid, veteran of Vaughn's Independent Battery, Illinois Light Artillery.25
William Hinshaw died Mar 8 1885, buried Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church Cemetery, 4232 Mt. Carmel Rd., Mosheim, Greene County, Tennessee.1,14,18,19
Widow Nancy Hinshaw was shown in the 1890 special census of Civil War Union veterans and widows, living in Greene County, Tennessee:26
Nancy Hinshaw, widow of William Hinshaw; private, 1st Illinois [Arty?? - unclear]; [..dates of service blank..]; [..Post Office blank..]; remarks: "doesn't remember dates".
In 1895 [date unclear], in Tennessee, Nancy Hinshaw again applied for a pension as widow of William Hinshaw, veteran.25
Nancy Reynolds died Nov 28 1909, Mosheim, Greene County, Tennessee; age 76.1,14,18,19,27,28,29
See also: Levi Henshaw, Washington Henshaw, James C. Henshaw and Patterson Hinchey who were in Green County TN in this time period.
Photo: William Hinshaw & Nancy (Reynolds) McFarland marriage record Greene County, Tennessee
Photo: William Hinshaw gravestone Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church Cemetery
Photo: Nancy Reynolds McFarland gravestone Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church Cemetery
This person's ancestry is unknown!
If you know who the parents were, please
- Letter from Donahue Bible, historian and author, discussing Hinshaws of
- 1850 census, 9th Division, Greene County, Tennessee; roll 880, page 168, dwelling #443.
- 1850 census, Greene County, Tennessee; pg 168B.
- Catherine S. Hinshaw death certificate.
- "Civil War Times", December, 1997, pages 48-54 & 86-87,
Contributed by Jeff Hatfield ().
- 1860 census, 23rd Civil District, Blue Spring P.O., Greene County, Tennessee; page 413A-B, line #39, dwelling #1406, family #1406.
- 1870 census, 7th Civil District, Romeo P.O., Greene County, Tennessee; page 239B, line #17, dwelling #39, family #39.
- Louisa Hinshaw death certificate.
- 1880 census, 7th Civil District, Greene County, Tennessee; roll T9-1258, ED 49, page 116D, line #13, dwelling #228, family #230.
- Andrew Jackson Hinshaw death certificate.
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Green Co. Tennessee, Marriages, 1783-1868", Burgner.
- "Green Co. Tennessee, Cemeteries, Earliest to 1970-71", Reynolds.
- "Early East Tennessee Marriages", Sistler, 1987.
- "Civil War Research Database", http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from James Hinchey.
- Mt. Carmel Cemetery burials, USGenWeb Archives:
- "Early East Tennesee Marriages", Vol. 1 Grooms, Byron & Barb Sistley,
1987, submitted by Robert Worley.
- Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1860 census, 23rd Civil District, Blue Spring P.O., Greene County, Tennessee; page 413A, line #36, dwelling #1405, family #1405.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters, USGenWeb Projects:
- "The American Civil War Research Database", Ancestry, Inc.
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- 1890 special census of Civil War Union veterans and widows, Greene County, Tennessee; roll 95, ED 89, page 3, line #32, house #162, family #162.
- Tennessee, Death Records, 1908-1958; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Tennessee, Deaths and Burials Index, 1874-1955; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Tennessee Death Index, 1914-1925; Tennessee State Library and Archives:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Wed Oct 26 10:34:35 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]