1. William Henshaw (1742-1796) m Elizabeth Gilbert (1746-1826)
2.. Joshua Henshaw (1775-1847) m Betsy King (c1785-1862)
3... Madison Henshaw (1810-1893)
+Lydia Hoyt (c1814-1844)
4.... Hoyt Henshaw (1838-1864) 1,2,3
4.... Charles Henshaw (?-1844) 1
4.... Jerome B. Henshaw (1840-1886) 1,2,3
4.... Francina E. Henshaw (1842-1843) 1
+Harriet Robinson (c1819-?)
4.... Dwight Henshaw (1849-1915) 1,2,3,4
4.... Cornelia M. Henshaw (1852-1877) 1,4
4.... Luther Henshaw (1854-1856) 1
4.... Jessie Cora Henshaw (1857-1902) 1,4
4.... Claribel M. Henshaw (1859-1922) 1,4,5
Madison Henshaw [ID 04767]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jul 6 1810, New York.1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Madison was admitted to the West Aurora Congregational Church, Griffins Mills, Erie County, New York on Nov 12 1826 by profession. Dismissed Dec 21 1832.1
He married Lydia Hoyt, Sep 12 1837.1,2,8 Lydia, daughter of Asa Hoyt & Betsey Hubbel, was born about 1814, Batavia, New York.8,9
Lydia died Feb 13 1844, Batavia, New York; age 30.1,9 Lydia is buried in the same lot with son Charles and daughter Francina.9 Note that Lydia died just two days after her son Charles died9 (cause of death of both unknown).
After Lydia died, in the fall of 1844 Madison's parents and family moved to Michigan, traveling the Great Lakes by boat. Madison and his brother Joseph made the journey by team, arriving at Detroit in October of 1844, there meeting their parents. From there they went to Ypsilanti by team, staying all winter. In the spring of 1845 the family came to Eckford Township, Calhoun County. Madison and his brother, Joshua, bought 100 acres of land in Section 24, in partnership. In 1847 Joshua sold his interest in the land to brother Joseph. Madison and Joseph then farmed it until 1854, when they divided it and each took 50 acres.10
He then married Harriet Robinson11 [Harriet Robbins1,12, Harriet Robins13], May 20 184711, Jackson County, Michigan11. Harriet was born about 18193,4 [about 18215], New York3,4.
Madison and family were shown in the 1850 census, Eckford Township, Calhoun County, Michigan:3
Madison Henshaw, age 40, born in New York; farmer; $7000 real estate.
Harriet Henshaw, age 30, born in New York.
Living next door in 1850 was Madison's widowed mother and his siblings.14
Madison and family were shown in the 1860 census (Oct 8 1860), Clarendon Township, Calhoun County, Michigan:4
Madison Hendshaw, age 50, born in New York; joiner; $200 real estate; $150 personal property.
Harriet Hendshaw, age 41, born in New York; house keeper.
Madison and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 18-19 1880), Clarendon Township, Calhoun County, Michigan:5
Henshaw, Madison, age 69, born in New York; parents born in New York; house carpenter.
Henshaw, Harriet, wife, age 59, born in New York; parents born in New York; keeping house.
Henshaw, CaraLiving next door in 1880 was the family of son Dwight.15
, daughter, age 20, born in Michigan; parents born in New York.
Madison Henshaw died Oct 10 1893, Calhoun County, Michigan; buried East Eckford Cemetery, Eckford, Calhoun County, Michigan.1,2,7 Unmarked grave.7
- Contribution from Tom Henshaw.
- Henshaw genealogical chart, author unknown;
Contributed by Donald Craig Henshaw.
- 1850 census, Eckford Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; page 410, line #30, dwelling #105, family #105.
- 1860 census, Homer P.O., Clarendon Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; roll M653-539, page 202, line #16, dwelling #1565, family #1534.
- 1880 census, Clarendon Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; roll T9-575, ED 48, page 187A, line #38, dwelling #240, family #241.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- Jill McLeester database: http://www.three-systems.com/gen/hoyt.htm.
- Contribution from Melissa Kay Hinshaw Owens citing:
"Old Batavia Pioneer Cemetery Records" of Genesee County New York.
- Contribution from Tom Henshaw citing:
biography of Joseph G. Henshaw.
- "Michigan Marriages", http://www.genealogylibrary.com.
- Halbert's "The New World Book of Henshaws" (for what it's worth).
- Jack & Marianne Dibean () Michigan Marriages database:
- 1850 census, Eckford Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; page 410, line #35, dwelling #106, family #106.
- 1880 census, Clarendon Township, Calhoun County, Michigan; roll T9-575, ED 48, page 187A, line #33, dwelling #239, family #240.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Fri Oct 21 15:52:20 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]