1. Nicholas Hancher (1705-1777) m Rebecca Smith (c1707-?)
2.. William Henshaw (1736-1799) m Agnes Ann Anderson (c1745-<1806)
3... Hiram Henshaw (1771-1845) m Mary McConnell (1777-1842)
4.... Samuel Preston Henshaw (1813-1884) m Julia Ann Margaret Hunsicker (1813-1903)
5..... Edwin Smith Henshaw (1849-1912) m Mary "Mazie" Elliott Campbell (1858-1927)
6...... Harry Preston Henshaw (1886-?)
+Mabel Virginia Bowen (1889-?)
7....... Harry Preston Henshaw, Jr. (1916-1998) 1,2,3,4
Harry Preston Henshaw [ID 04972]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Harry Preston Henshaw1,2 [Harry Proctor Henshaw5].
Born Dec 21 18861,2,3,4,5,6 [about 18887], Mill Creek, near Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, West Virginia1,2,3,4,5,6.
Harry was raised on the ancestral homestead, "Spring Hill", in Berkeley County, West Virginia.8 He attended the public schools of Berkeley County, at Shenandoah Academy, Winchester, Virginia, and West Virginia University.9
He married Mabel Virginia Bowen1,2 [Mabel Bowers5], Apr 29 19141,2. Mabel was born May 16 18891,2 [about 18903,4], Virginia1,2.
Harry was elected in 19179 and served three terms as a West Virginia State Senator.1,2
Harry and family were shown in the 1920 census (May 5 1920), Bunker Hill, Mill Creek District, Berkeley County, West Virginia:3
Henshaw, Harry P., head-of-household, age 33, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; owned home; occupation: salesman, [..unclear..].
Henshaw, Mabel V., wife, age 29, born in Virginia; father born in Virginia; mother born in West Virginia.
Living next door in 1920 was Harry's widowed mother and sister.10
Harry and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 17 1930), Mill Creek District, Berkeley County, West Virginia:4
Henshaw, Harry, head-of-household, age 43, born in West Virginia; parents born in West Virginia; first married at age 25; owned home ($5,000 value); radio in home; occupation: salesman, [..unclear..].
Henshaw, Mabel V., wife, age 40, born in Virginia; father born in Virginia; mother born in West Virginia; first married at age 24.
, son, age 13, born in West Virginia; father born in West Virginia; mother born in Virginia; attended school.
A biographical sketch of Harry Preston Henshaw was published in "West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register" (1917, compiled and edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate, The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va. pgs. 719 - 752):11
HENSHAW, HARRY PRESTON. (Democrat.) Address: Bunker Hill, West Va. Born in that village; educated in public schools of Berkeley county, at Shenandoah Academy, Winchester, Va., and the West Virginia University; a prominent and successful farmer and fruit grower in a section noted for its fine farm products and fruits; elected in 1917 as one of the delegates from Berkeley county; committee assignments 1917: Arts, Science and General Improvements (Chairman); Federal Relations, Education, Counties, Districts and Municipal Corporations, Private Corporations and Joint Stock Companies, Humane Institutions and Public Buildings, Immigration and Agriculture, Medicine and Sanitation.
- "History of Henshaws in Scotland, in England and in America to the Present
Time", Edith Henshaw Kuntz, 1956;
contributed by Don Henshaw.
- Henshaw history and genealogy manuscript, original by Holmes Hart Henshaw, 1930;
updated in 1995 by Donald Craig Henshaw and others.
- 1920 census, Bunker Hill, Mill Creek District, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T625-1948, ED 34, page 15B, line #51, dwelling #303, family #311.
- 1930 census, Mill Creek District, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T626-2526, ED 18, page 10B, line #52, dwelling #138, family #142.
- Campbell, Leslie L., "The Campbell Clan in Virginia". Edwards Bros. Inc., Ann Arbor 1942.
- 1900 census, Mill Creek Township, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T623-1755, ED 18, page 11A, line #24, dwelling #184, family #186.
- 1910 census, Mill Creek Township, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T624-1676, ED 24, page 126A, line #19, dwelling #267, family #269.
- Contribution from Harry Preston Henshaw III.
- Biographical sketch of Harry Preston Henshaw:
- 1920 census, Bunker Hill, Mill Creek District, Berkeley County, West Virginia; roll T625-1948, ED 34, page 15B, line #54, dwelling #304, family #312.
- Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature, West Virigina, 1917; USGenWeb Archives:
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:46 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]