1. James Hinshaw
2.. James Hinshaw (c1798-1858) m Nellie Robertson (c1800-1860)
3... Carrel Hinshaw (1832-1882)
+Elizabeth Ellen Marshall (c1834-1894)
4.... William Riley Hinshaw (1851-1934) 1,2,3,4,5
4.... John A. Hinshaw (1854-1870) 1,2,3,4
4.... Sarah E. Hinshaw (1859-1878) 1,2,3,4
4.... Nancy C. Hinshaw (1862-1879) 1,3
4.... James I. Henshaw (1865-?) 1,3,4,6
4.... George Allen Hinshaw (1867-1947) 1,4,6
4.... Thomas M. Hinshaw (1870-?) 1,7
4.... Francis Marion Henshaw (1870-?) 4,6,7
4.... Mary E. Hinshaw (1872-1898) 1,4,6,7
Carrel Hinshaw [ID 00721]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Carrel Hinshaw1 [Carrel Hanshaw8, Carroll Henshaw9,10, Carrol Henshaw4, Carrol Hanshaw2, Carol Henshaw6, Carl Henshaw3].
Born Sep 22 1832.1,2,3,4,10
Carroll was shown in the 1850 census9 and the 1860 census2 as having been born in Illinois. The book "Hinshaw and Henshaw Families" states he was born in McMurry County, Tennessee, yet there is no such place.1,10 The 18703 and 18806 censuses recorded his birthplace as Tennessee. In the 1920 census, son William11 and son George12 both claimed their father was born in North Carolina. When Carrel registered for the Civil War draft he declared he had been born in Indiana.8
Carrel moved from Tennessee to Williamson County, Illinois with his parents and family about 1840.10
He married Elizabeth Ellen Marshall1,4,13 [Ellen Marshall10,14], 18501,4,13.
Elizabeth, daughter of John Marshall & Nancy Bray, was born about 1834, Alabama.13 Ellen shown born in 1824, Alabama, per "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families".1 But the 1850 & 1880 censuses show Ellen was shown born about 1834 in Alabama.6,15 The 1860 census shows her born about 1836 in Alabama.2 The 1870 census shows her born about 1833 in Tennessee.3 A History of Williamson County, Illinois said she was born in 1836 in Alabama.10
After their marriage, about 1852, Carrel bought a farm of 200 acres in Williamson County, Illinois, where he resided the rest of his life.10
However Carrel and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 28 1860), Black Township, Posey County, Indiana:2
Carrol Hanshaw, age 28, born in Illinois; farmer; $500 personal property.
Elizabeth Hanshaw, age 24, born in Alabama.
Living two houses away in 1860 was a Dyer Marshall, age 27, with his wife Elmira;16 living in the same county in 1860 was a John Marshall, age 60, apparently widowed,17 possibly Elizabeth's father.18
In Jun 1863 Carrel registered for the Civil War draft in Black Township, Posey County, Indiana:8
Hanshaw, Carrel, age 31, born in Indiana; married; farmer.
Carrel and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 26 1870), Williamson County, Illinois:3,19
Henshaw, Carl, age 38, born in Tennessee; farmer; $1300 real estate; $400 personal property.
Henshaw, Ellen, age 37, born in Tennessee; keeping house.
Carrel and family were again shown in the 1880 census (Jun 14 1880), Saline Township, Williamson County, Illinois:6
Henshaw, Carol, age 47, born in Tennessee; father born in Alabama; mother born in Tennessee; farmer.
Henshaw, Ellen, wife, age 46, born in Alabama; parents born in Tennessee; keeping house; can read, cannot write.
, son, age 15, born in Indiana; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Alabama; attended school.
, son, age 12, born in Illinois; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Alabama; attended school.
, son, age 10, born in Illinois; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Alabama; attended school.
Henshaw, Mary E.
, daughter, age 8, born in Illinois; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Alabama; attended school.
, niece, age 11, born in Illinois; parents born in Illinois; attended school.
See also: unidentified Jack Henshaw #14216 who was living nearby in 1880 and who might be closely related (perhaps an additional child).
Carrel and Ellen's son George was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention. As part of Oklahoma's creation in statehood, George named Marshall County, in the south-central part of the state, giving it his mother's maiden name in her honor.20
Carrel Hinshaw died 1882.1,10 Carrel was killed by the falling of a tree.10
Elizabeth died 1894.1
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- 1860 census, Mount Vernon P.O., Black Township, Posey County, Indiana; roll M653-290, page 769, line #4, dwelling #835, family #835.
- 1870 census, Township 10 Range 4, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M593-293, page 203, line #29, dwelling #29, family #29.
- Obituary of George Allen Henshaw; "The Chronicles of Oklahoma".
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1880 census, Saline Township, Williamson County, Illinois; roll T9-0259, ED 166, page 516B, line #26, dwelling #88, family #91.
- Contribution from Linda L. White ().
- U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll M432-133, page 230, line #11, family #261.
- "History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties. Illinois",
Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1887 (page 898).
Contributed by Jeana Gallagher ()
- 1920 census, Harrisburg, Saline County, Illinois; roll T625-395, ED 130, page 9A, line #48, dwelling #179, family #208.
- 1920 census, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma; roll T625-1473, ED 123, page 5B, line #76, dwelling #82, family #122.
- Contribution from Linda Bray York ().
- Contribution from Judy Couey () citing:
1870 census, Williamson County, Illinois; pg 251, household 29.
- 1850 census, Williamson County, Illinois; roll 133, page 228A-B, line #40, dwelling #224, family #250.
- 1860 census, Mount Vernon P.O., Black Township, Posey County, Indiana; roll M653-290, page 769, line #11, dwelling #837, family #837.
- 1860 census, Mount Vernon P.O., New Harmony Township, Posey County, Indiana; roll M653-290, page 920, line #28, dwelling #677, family #677.
- Illinois USGenWeb archives.
- "Oklahoma Place Names", By George H. Shirk; USGenWeb archives.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]