1. Elias Hinshaw (c1786-c1840) m Sarah Williams (1789-?)
2.. William Lucas Hinshaw (1823-1890) m Mary Elizabeth Ledington (c1842-c1866)
3... George Washington Hinshaw (1865-1920) m Ida Ellen Stakley (1868-1935)
4.... William Lucas Hinshaw (1885-1975)
+Isabelle Wilson (1902-1946)
5..... George Edward Hinshaw (c1931-) 1,2
5..... Ivan William Hinshaw (1932-) 1,2,3,4
William Lucas Hinshaw [ID 08288]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
William Lucas Hinshaw5,6,7 [William Luke Hinshaw1, Bill Hinshaw8].
Born Dec 28 1885, Toledo, Oregon.2,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
William was shown in the 1910 census (May 6-7 1910), working in the household of a Richard C. Stakely (probably his uncle or cousin), Sandy Road, Fairview, Multnomah County, Oregon:12
Richard C. Stakely, head-of-household, age 28, born in Missouri; parents born in Tennessee; widower; occupation: carpenter + contractor; rented home.
John M. Grant, partner, age 35, born in Tennessee; parents born in Tennessee; single; occupation: contractor, clearing land.
William H. Majors, hired man, age 23, born in Oklahoma; father born in Kentucky; mother born in Missouri; single; occupation: laborer, common.
William Hinshaw, hired man, age 24, born in Oregon; parents born in Missouri; single; occupation: laborer, common.
Fred Singleton, hired man, age 27, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; single; occupation: laborer, common.
William was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 17 1920), Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California:13
Hinshaw, William L., head-of-household, age 34, born in Oregon; father born in Nebraska; mother born in Missouri; single; owned home; farming.
Prich [unclear], Lucy, servant, age 45, born in California; parents born in California; widow; housekeeper.
William was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 1930), living with his mother and brother Thomas in Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California:14
Hinshaw, William L., son, age 44, born in Oregon; father born in Missouri [sic]; mother born in Indiana [sic]; single; occupation: truck driver, truck mill; not a veteran.
He married Isabelle Wilson1 [Isabel Shepard2]. Isabelle, daughter of - Wilson & - Jackson, was born Jul 7 1902, Calofornia.6 (c1901).2
Isabell was a Hoopa Indian.1 She had apparently been previously married to a -- Shepard, by whom she had a daughter, Gerene Shepard.2
William and family were shown in the 1940 census (Apr 12 1940), Korbel - Blue Lake County Road, Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California:2
Hinshaw, William L., head-of-household, white, age 54, born in Oregon; completed 3rd grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; owned farm ($500 value).
Hinshaw, Isabel, wife, Indian, age 39, born in California; completed 3rd grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house.
Shepard, Gerene, step-daughter, Indian, age 18, born in California; completed 8th grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house.
, son, Indian, age 9, born in California; completed 1st grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; attended school.
, son, Indian, age 7, born in California; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; attended school.
Hinshaw, Thomas R
, brother, white, age 47, born in Oregon; completed 4th grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; single.
Isabelle died Jan 31 1946, Humbolt County, California; age 42.6
In 1975 William was living in/near Blue Lake, Humbolt County, California.9
William Lucas Hinshaw died Aug 8 1975, Humbolt County, California; age 89.6,7,9,10
William's obituary was published in "The Times-Standard" (Eureka, California) on Monday, August 11, 19758 (see scan below).
Photo: William Lucas Hinshaw obituary "The Times-Standard", Aug 11 1975
Photo: William Lucas Hinshaw gravestone Blue Lake Cemetery
Social Security information for William Lucas Hinshaw: 570-09-2337
- Contribution from George Edward Hinshaw, Jr..
- 1940 census, Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California; roll T627-208, ED 12-37, page 2B, line #59, household #65.
- VitalSearch California Birth Index 1905-2001:
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Donna (Francis) Thurman () citing:
"History of Polk County", Polk County Genealogical Society, Monmouth, Oregon, 1987.
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- Burials in Blue Lake Cemetery, Blue Lake, Humboldt County, California:
- Obituary of William Lucas Hinshaw; "Times-Standard", Aug 11 1975; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Gravestone of William Lucas Hinshaw; photo courtesy of Karen Matlock ().
- 1900 census, Wamic Precinct, Wasco County, Oregon; roll T623-1353, ED 150, page 3B, line #73, dwelling #58, family #68.
- 1910 census, Fairview, Multnomah County, Oregon; roll T624-1288, ED 113, page 10B, line #56, dwelling #108, family #108.
- 1920 census, Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California; roll T625-98, ED 59, page 2B, line #67, dwelling #34, family #35.
- 1930 census, Mad River Township, Humbolt County, California; roll T626-120, ED 29, page 1A, line #18, dwelling #4, family #4.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]