┌── Thomas Hinshaw
┌── Ezra Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1783-1838 │
│ └── Rebecca Marshill
Sarah Hinshaw ────┤
B: 1808 │ ┌── Charles Hobson
D: 1883 │ │
└── Phebe Hobson ──┤
└── Sarah Beck
M: William Hebron
Sarah Hinshaw [ID 00109]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born 6-4-1808, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,2,3,4
At Cane Creek MM on 5-7-1814, Sarah was "received by request".1
At Mississinewa MM (Indiana) on 2-14-1840, Sarah & sister Salina were disowned for attending a marriage contrary to discipline.5
She married William Hebron, May 20 1841, Cass County, Michigan.2,6,7,8 William, son of William Hebron & Ann Dawson, was born Oct 27 1788, Westerdale, Yorkshire, England.2,4,9
William had been married twice before he married Sarah9,10 - both times in England - and had at least twelve children.10
At Mississinewa MM on 11-19-1841, Sarah Hebron (formerly Hinshaw) was disowned for her marriage contrary to discipline.5
Infant, born Mar 1842; died as an infant.
Lydia Hebron, born Apr 16 1843; died 1919; married John J./L. Kneiss, Mar 23 1873.
Sarah & William and family were shown in the 1850 census, Cass County, Michigan:4
William Hebron, age 61, born in England; farmer; $10,000 real estate.
Sarah Hebron, age 42, born in North Carolina.
John Hebron, age 27, born in England; farmer.
Gideon Hebron, age 19, born in England; farmer.
Stephen Hebron, age 15, born in Michigan; farmer.
Lydia Hebron, age 7, born in Michigan; attended school.
William died Oct 27 1857, age 69.13
A biographical sketch of William Hebron was published in the "History of Cass County, Michigan", by Alfred Mathews13 (see scan below).
Sarah and daughter Lydia were shown in the 1870 census (Sep 20 1870), Penn Township, Cass County, Michigan:14
, age 35, born in Michigan; farmer; $5000 real estate; $1000 personal property.
Hebron, Sarah, age 60, born in North Carolina; keeping house; $2000 personal property.
Hebron, Lydia, age 25, born in Michigan; teacher.
Widow Sarah was shown in the 1880 census (Jun 14 1880) living in the household of her daughter Lydia (Hebron) Kniss in Kalamazoo County, Michigan:15
Kniss, Jacob, head-of-household, age 45, born in Michigan; parents born in Pennsylvania; farmer; married.
Kniss, Lydia, wife, age 37, born in Michigan; father born in England; mother born in North Carolina; teacher; married.
Hebron, Sarah, mother-in-law, age 72, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; keeping house; widow.
Sarah Hinshaw died Jan 2 1883, buried Cass County, Michigan.2
Photo: Biographical sketch of William Hebron "History of Cass County, Michigan"
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting,
Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a
typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of
the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical
Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
- Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
- 1850 census, Porter Township, Cass County, Michigan; page 558, line #13, dwelling #518, family #526.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 3,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Michigan.
- "Michigan Marriages from 1840 to 1899", http://www.genealogylibrary.com.
- Michigan Marriages to 1850; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Robin VanBelleghem ().
- Contribution from Donna J. Schmidt ().
- "The Hobson Family Lineage", by Jay W. Hobson, 1994; GS929.2 H684 in a local library
- Contribution from Donna J. Schmidt () citing:
gravestone inscriptions, Long Cemetery: Porter Township, Cass County, MI.
- "History of Cass County, Michigan", by Alfred Mathews; Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1882; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1870 census, Dowagiac P.O., Penn Township, Cass County, Michigan; roll M593-668, page 155, line #29, dwelling #143, family #145.
- 1880 census, Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo County, Michigan; ED 142, page 329d, dwelling #176, family #181.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]