┌── Solomon Hinshaw
┌── Lindley Murry Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1851-1913 │
│ └── Rachel Hodgin
Aretus John Hinshaw ────┤
B: 1884 │ ┌── Jesse Brumfield
D: 1969 │ │
└── Mahala Jane Brumfield ──┤
└── Harriet Ellis
M: Mary Jerusha Frazier
├── Miriam Carol Hinshaw (1906-1988) 1,2,3,4
├── Everett Fenwick Hinshaw (1908-1974) 1,2,3,4,5,6
├── Robert Murry Hinshaw (1915-) 1,2,3,4,7
├── Ruthanna Hinshaw (1919-1991) 1,2,3,4
└── Doris Jane Hinshaw (1921-) 1,2,3
M: Ruby -
Aretus John Hinshaw [ID 01181]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Aretus John Hinshaw1,6 [Aretas John Hinshaw8, John Hinshaw7,9, John Aretus Hinshaw3,10, Arthur John Hinshaw3,5].
Per family records, his name was correctly Aretus (not Arthur) John Hinshaw.11
Born Oct 31 1884, Rice County, Kansas.1,3,5,6,8,9,12,13
John moved to Randolph County, Indiana as a child (in 1899).12
He married Mary Jerusha Frazier, Nov 14 1905, Union City, Randolph County, Indiana.1,2,3,5,7 Mary, daughter of Francis Frazier II & Jane C. Shockney, was born Oct 20 1884, Harrisville, Randolph County, Indiana.1,3,5,6,14,15
At White River MM in 1915, John, Mary, Marian & Evert were received in membership.7
John and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 21 1920), Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana:4
Hindshaw, John, head-of-household, age 35, born in Kansas; parents born in Indiana; rented home; occupation: farmer, [..unclear..] farm.
Hindshaw, Mary, wife, age 35, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; occupation: housewife.
Hindshaw, Miriam C.
, daughter, age 13, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; attended school; "Jr High School".
Hindshaw, Everet F.
, son, age 11, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; attended school; "grade school".
Hindshaw, Robert M.
, son, age 4, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana.
Hindshaw, Ruth Anna.Living next door in 1920 was John's widowed mother.16
, daughter, age 5 months [unclear], born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana.
John and family were again shown in the 1930 census (Apr 4 1930), Franklin Township, Randolph County, Indiana:17
Hinshaw, A. John, head-of-household, age 48, born in Kansas; parents born in Indiana; first married at age 21; owned home ($4100 value); no radio in home; occupation: farmer, own farm; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Mary J., wife, age 45, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; first married at age 18.
Hinshaw, Everett F.
, son, age 22, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; occupation: laborer, telephone co.; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Robert M.
, son, age 15, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; attended school.
, daughter, age 10, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Doris Jane
, daughter, age 8, born in Indiana; father born in Kansas; mother born in Indiana; attended school.
Mary died Sep 11 1957, Union City, Randolph County, Indiana; buried Jericho Cemetery, Randolph County, Indiana.1,3,6,15
Mary's obituary was published in "The American Friend" on February 6, 1958 (page 47).15
He then married Ruby -.3,12
Aretus John Hinshaw died Sep 17 1969, Parkview Nursing Home, Muncie, Delaware County, Indiana; buried Jericho Cemetery, Randolph County, Indiana.1,3,6,9,12
John's obituary shows he was:12
Residence: 1016 W. Washington St, Muncie, Delaware Co., IN
Died: September 17, 1969 at Parkview Nursing Home, Muncie, IN
Born: October 31, 1884 in Kansas but moved to Randolph Co. as a child.
Wife: Ruby _______
Survivors: His widow; 3 daughters, Mrs. Miriam GRINDLE of Union City, IN, Mrs. Howard HERSHBERGER of Union City, IN, Mrs. Robert LUMPKIN of Losantville, IN; 2 sons, Everett HINSHAW of Winchester, IN, Robert HINSHAW of Muncie, IN; 2 stepdaughters, Mrs. Jeanne HAMILTON of Muncie, IN, Mrs. Shirley WHITEHAIR of Selma, IN.
Interment: Jericho Cemetery
Social Security information for Aretus John Hinshaw: 304-18-7219
- Family lineage contributed by Edwin Everett Hinshaw
- The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family
lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw,
contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
- Family group sheets contributed by Kent Myrick ()
- 1920 census, Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T625-464, ED 162, page 4A, line #1, dwelling #71, family #71.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Indiana.
- Johnson, Eddis and Hugh Buckner Johnston. "The Johnsons and Johnstons of Corrowauch in Isle of Wright County, Virginia".
Privately Published. Indiana 1979.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 2,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- 1900 census, Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T623-399, ED 130, page 2B, line #88, dwelling #48, family #50.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Julie Anne Ward () database:
- Contribution from Edwin Everett Hinshaw.
- Obituary of A. John Hinshaw, posted Apr 7 2000 by Billy J. Baker () to Randolph County, Indiana Obituaries:
- RootsWeb WorldConnect data by "Decatur IN FHC" ().
- Obituary of Hugh Frazier, Oct 17, 1946, Randolph County, Indiana; USGenWeb Archives:
- Earlham College Library; "American Friend Obituary Index":
- 1920 census, Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T625-464, ED 162, page 4A, line #7, dwelling #72, family #72.
- 1930 census, Franklin Township, Randolph County, Indiana; roll T626-624, ED 2, page 3A, line #20, dwelling #70, family #70.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]