+-- John Hinshaw | c1660->1768 +-- William Hinshaw --+ | 1724-1814 | | +-- Elizabeth Belshaw | Jacob Hinshaw ------+ B: 1782 | +-- Jacob Hinshaw D: 1846 | | +-- Mary Hinshaw -----+ ?-1822 | +-- Rebecca Mackey M: Marietta Johnson +-- Susannah Hinshaw, 1813-1885 +-- Nancy Jane Hinshaw, 1818-1910 +-- George M. Hinshaw, 1820-1893 +-- Mary Hinshaw, 1822-? +-- Jane G. Hinshaw, 1824-1911 +-- Benjamin Hinshaw, 1826-1874 +-- Cyrus A. Hinshaw, 1829-1860 +-- Robert Hinshaw, 1832-1857
|Jacob Hinshaw     [ID 00138]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born 1-6-1782, Guilford County, North Carolina.2,28,33    Second son Jacob in his family (the first son died).2,7
Medical: "Deformed in his feet", often walked behind his plow on knees.1
A deed was recorded in Overton County, Tennessee, on August 20, 1811, where Jacob appointed his brother George as attorney to convey lands.    See: George.99,a
He married Marietta Johnson, Aug 25 1812, Overton County, Tennessee.1,28,45,54,102    (Mary Johnson)1,28,33,45,46,80    Marietta, daughter of Francis Johnson & Mary Harrington, was born Nov 15 1794, Virginia.1,28,33,80,102,b    (c1793).c
Note that Marietta was the sister of Susannah Johnson who married Jacob's brother George.
On March 11, 1816, Jacob served on a jury in Overton County Circuit Court.d
Jacob and family were shown in the 1820 census, Overton County, Tennessee:e
In August, 1821, Jacob appeared as a witness in a divorce case in Overton County Circuit Court.d
In 1826, Jacob's brother George and Stephen Webb Sr. travelled to Illinois in a small two-horse wagon and entered some land along the Kankakee River, near Joliet, intending to settle there.    They then returned to Tennessee for their families, and early in the spring of 1827, George and family, along with brother Jacob, Stephen Webb, and a William McCord, started for Illinois.    However, having reached McLean County, Illinois, poor weather and traveling difficulties forced them to stop and settle there.1
Jacob and family were shown in the 1830 census, Tazewell County, Illinois:h
Jacob Hinshaw died Oct 24 1846, McLean County, Illinois; buried in West Twin Grove Cemetery, McLean County, Illinois.1,28,33,54,102
Widow Marietta and family were shown in the 1850 census (Sep 24 1850), Dry Grove Township, McLean County, Illinois:c
Marietta died Jul 18 1863, buried in West Twin Grove Cemetery, McLean County, Illinois.1,33,102
1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
7. Genealogy on file with the LDS (Microfilm number 1126498, Batch 7906602, Sheets 81-84) as submitted by Robert Lee Baker, 1345 Navajo Dr., Pleasant Grove, Utah 84062 ().
28. "Hinshaw Chart and List" (1/1/68) by Ralph Edward Pike, from "Family Records of Morgan Co., Ind.", Public Library of Mooresville, Morgan Co., Indiana (LDS microfilm 1509501).
33. Gravestone inscriptions in the Hinshaw Cemetery, Stout's Grove Cemetery, Parklawn (Danvers) Cemetery, & Scogin Hill Cemetery, McLean County, Illinois.
45. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
46. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Illinois.
54. "The Good Old Times in McLean County, Illinois", subtitled "Old Settlers of McLean County, Illinois", microfilm #0164002 in the LDS Family History Library.
80. "All About the Bensons, Hinshaws, and Others" by Imogen Benson Emery, in the LDS Family History Library, microfiche #6017328.
99. "Overton County, Tennessee, Genealogical Records", by Edythe R. Whitley, GS929.3768 W61 in a local library.
102. Family Group sheets gathered at the 1992 Hinshaw reunion, submitted by attendees.
(a) Contribution from Arthur A. Worrell ().
(b) http://www.ancestry.com GEDCOM file F1701.GED.
(c) 1850 census, Dry Grove Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll M432-117, page 35, line #21, dwelling #736, family #752.
(d) Contribution from Robert Worley citing:
Overton County Circuit Court Minute Book, 1815-1824
(W.P.A. transcription, Tennesse Library & Archives).
(e) 1820 census, Overton County, Tennessee; roll M33-122, page 260.
(f) 1820 census, Overton County, Tennessee; roll M33-122, page 256.
(g) 1820 census, Overton County, Tennessee; roll M33-122, page 248.
(h) 1830 census, Tazewell County, Illinois; roll 23, page 177.
(i) 1830 census, Tazewell County, Illinois; roll 23, page 178.
(j) 1830 census, Tazewell County, Illinois; roll 23, page 179.
(k) 1850 census, Dry Grove Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll M432-117, page 35, line #16, dwelling #735, family #751.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]