┌── Ezra Hinshaw
┌── Ezra William Hinshaw ──┤
│ 1840-1929 │
│ └── Jane Woodward
Arvil Griffin Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1883 │ ┌── Jacob Griffin
D: 1971 │ │
└── Elvira E. Griffin ─────┤
└── Rebecca Harvey
M: Grace Elina Chase
├── Arvil James Hinshaw (1916-1999) 1,2,3,4,5,6
└── Harvey Robert Hinshaw (1918-1973) 1,2,3,4,5,7
Arvil Griffin Hinshaw [ID 00495]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Born Jul 1 1883, Oskaloosa, Hardin County, Iowa.2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12
Arvil was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 20 1900), living in the household of an Edwin T. Hadley in Providence Township, Hardin County, Iowa:10
Hinshaw, Arvil, lodger, age 16, born July 1883 in Iowa; parents born in Indiana; single; occupation: farm laborer.
He married Grace Elina Chase1,13 [Grace Elma Chase6], Jul 22 19131,13 [Jun 22 19132,3], Lucas County, Iowa1,13. Grace, daughter of James Balloch Chase, Jr. & Nancy Elina Friend, was born Jul 12 1892, Toledo, Iowa.4,5,9,14,15
On Sep 12 1918 Arvil Griffin Hinshaw, age 35, registered for the World War I draft in Logan, Harrison County, Iowa. He declared he was born July 1st, 1883, and was then residing in Dunlap, Harrison County, Iowa where he was a teacher employed by the Superintendent of Dunlap Schools. He declared his nearest relative was his wife, Mrs. Grace Hinshaw of Dunlap. He was recorded as medium height, medium build, blue eyes, dark brown hair.11
Arvil and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 21 1920), Dunlap, Harrison County, Iowa:4
Hinshaw, Arvil G., head-of-household, age 36, born in Iowa; parents born in United States; rented home; occupation: supertindent, high school.
Hinshaw, Grace, wife, age 27, born in Iowa; father born in Vermont; mother born in Missouri; occupation: teacher, high school.
Arvil and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 23 1930), Sycamore Street, Janesville, Bremer County, Iowa:5
Hinshaw, Arvil G., head-of-household, age 46, born in Iowa; parents born in Indiana; first married at age 30; rented home ($25 rent); radio in home; occupation: supertindent, public school; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Grace C., wife, age 37, born in Iowa; father born in Vermont; mother born in Missouri; first married at age 21.
Arvil and family were shown in the 1940 census (Apr 13 1940), Baldwin County, Alabama:7
Hinshaw, Arvil G, head-of-household, age 56, born in Iowa; parents born in Indiana; completed 5 years of college; on Apr 1 1935 was living in rural Bremer County, Iowa; owned farm ($600 value); occupation: farmer, farm.
Hinshaw, Grace C, wife, age 45, born in Iowa; completed 4 years of college; on Apr 1 1935 was living in rural Bremer County, Iowa.
Hinshaw, Harvey R
, son, age 22, born in Iowa; completed 2 years of college; on Apr 1 1935 was living in rural Bremer County, Iowa; attended school.
In 1971 Arvil was living in/near Summerdale, Baldwin County, Alabama.9
Arvil Griffin Hinshaw died Apr 20 1971, Foley, Baldwin County, Alabama; buried Marlow United Methodist Church Cemetery, Marlow, Baldwin County, Alabama.9,12,16
In 1973 Grace was living in/near Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas.9
Grace died Oct 10 1973, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas; age 81.9,14,17
Photo: Arvil Griffin Hinshaw World War I draft registration card
Social Security information for Arvil Griffin Hinshaw: 480-01-9247
Social Security information for Grace Elina Chase: 417-50-8102
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- Contribution from Dorothy Ann (Conley) Cline.
- 1920 census, Dunlap, Harrison Township, Harrison County, Iowa; roll T625-493, ED 77, page 12A, line #35, dwelling #285, family #322.
- 1930 census, Janesville, Jackson Township, Bremer County, Iowa; roll T626-644, ED 8, page 2B, line #78, dwelling #58, family #60.
- Arvil James Hinshaw birth record.
- 1940 census, Summerdale and Marlow, Baldwin County, Alabama; roll T627-2, ED 2-19, page 9B, line #55, household #187.
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- 1900 census, Providence Township, Hardin County, Iowa; roll T623-435, ED 153, page 7B, line #56, dwelling #132, family #133.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Lucas County, Iowa Marriages Index; USGenWeb Archives:
- Texas, Death Certificates, 1903-1982; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Janet Meleney ().
- Contribution from Dorothy Ann (Conley) Cline citing:
Information provided by sister Kathryn Elvira Hinshaw.
- Texas Death Index, 1903-2000; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 12:33:26 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]