┌── William Hinshaw
┌── Thomas Hinshaw ────┤
│ 1757-1825 │
│ └── Sarah Courtney
Emey Hinshaw ──────┤
B: 1791 │ ┌── William Marshill
D: ? │ │
└── Rebecca Marshill ──┤
└── Rebecca Dixson
M: Pierce M. Nixon
Emey Hinshaw [ID 00085]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Emey Hinshaw1,2 [Amy Hinshaw3,4, Amey Hinshaw5,6].
Born 10-9-1791, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,2,4,7,8,9
She married Pierce M. Nixon1,4,5,6,8 [Pearce Nixon10,11], Jan 31 18171,4,5,6,8, Randolph County, North Carolina1,4,5,6,8. Pierce, son of Joseph Nixon & Elizabeth Murphy, was born 6-13-1795, Symons Creek MM.1,4,8
A marriage bond was recorded for Amey Hinshaw & Pierce M. Nixon on Jan 31 1817, Randolph County, North Carolina (bondsman: John Harvey; witness: Jesse Harper).5
Pierce Nixon had removed from Symons Creek MM to Back Creek MM in 1816.8 At Back Creek MM on 3-29-1817 Pierce Nixon was disowned for his marriage out of unity.1
At Cane Creek MM on 3-2-1822, Amy Nixon (formerly Hinshaw) was disowned for her marriage out of unity.1
Elizabeth Nixon, born c1821; accidentally fell in a creek and drowned.
William Nixon, born 1823; Confederate soldier, Co. F, 3rd NC Infantry; enlisted Aug 21 1864; captured at Burkeville VA, Apr 6 1865; confined at Newport News VA where he died Jun 18 1865, of "diarrhoea chronic".
Thomas Nixon, born 1825.
Quinton Nixon, born Jun 15 1831, died 1914; married Apr 6 1857 to Elizabeth Janie Jones (1840-1912).
Amy and Pearce were divorced about 1831. Pearce filed for divorced in the September term of the court, 1830, charging "adultery; separated from him Apr 1828; had child not his".11 Pearce M. Nixon remarried on or about Dec 27 1831 to a Hannah Cruthers.13,15 It is unknown what became of Amy.
Pearce Nixon and his second wife Hannah and family were shown in the 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina, as follows:10
Pearce Nixon, age 55, born in North Carolina; $200 real estate.
Hannah Nixon, age 50, born in North Carolina.
Geo. N. Allred [somewhat unclear], age 5, born in North Carolina.
It is unknown why the 5 year old George Allred was living in their household - he apparently was a neighbor's child, the son of William Allred & Rachel Coltrain (dwelling #294).16
Son Quinton Nixon was shown in the 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina, age 19, apparently single, a laborer living in (and probably working in) the household of a Wm D. & Elizabeth Feilds [sic].17 Quinton Nixon was again shown in the 1860 census (Aug 11 1860), Randolph County, North Carolina:18
Quinton Nixon, age 30, born in North Carolina; farmer; $400 real estate.
Elizabeth J. Nixon, age 20; domestic.
Alfred W. Nixon, age 2.
Ruhama Nixon, age 8 months.
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- "North Carolina Marriages to 1825" (www.ancestry.com).
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting,
Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a
typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of
the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical
Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
- "Hinshaw Family Genealogical Notes", apparently prepared for William Wade Hinshaw
by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1571899, Items 7-8
- 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll 641, page 101, dwelling #299.
- Contribution from James Nixon () citing:
"Randolph County Divorces, 1815-1928", Asheboro Library, Asheboro, NC.
- Contribution from James Nixon ().
- "North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "North Carolina Marriages, 1827-1900"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from James Nixon () citing:
Randolph County marriage bond.
- 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll 641, page 242, line #20, dwelling #1155, family #1155.
- 1860 census, Randolph County, North Carolina; page 562, line #34, dwelling #787, family #787.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]