1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
6...... Absolom Hinshaw (1728-?) m Rebecca Haddock
7....... Absolom Hinshaw (1752-1830) m Elizabeth Hinshaw (c1753-1833)
8........ Isaiah Hinshaw (1794-1844) m Welmet Williams (1796-1866)
9......... Tilman P. Hinshaw (1833-1860)
+Leah J. Johnson (1833-1918)
10.......... Isaiah Hinshaw (1858-1860) 1,2,3
10.......... Tilman Hinshaw (1860-1885) 1,2,4
Tilman P. Hinshaw [ID 01900]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Tilman P. Hinshaw3,5 [Tillman P. Hinshaw1].
Born Nov 4 1833, probably Morgan County, Indiana.1,3,4,6,7
At White Lick MM on 6-12-1839, Tilman & parents were granted certificates to Salem MM, Iowa.5
At Salem MM on 9-28-1839, Tillman & family were received on a certificate from White Lick MM dated 6-12-1839.1
He married Leah J. Johnson, Aug 12 1857, Jefferson County, Iowa.1,4 Leah, daughter of Barclay Johnson & Sarah Barrett1,2,8,9,10,11, was born Dec 28 18331,2,8,9,10,11 [about 183512], Highland County, Ohio1,2,8,9,10,11 [Virginia13].
Tilman was a carpenter.7
Tilman P. Hinshaw died Apr 22 18601,7 [Jan 22 18603,6]; age 271,7. Medical: Tilman died from lung disease.7
Widow Leah was shown in the 1860 census (Jun 22 1860), just months after both Tilman and son Isaiah had died, and then pregnant with son Tilman, living alone in Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa:10
Leah J. Henshaw, age 26, born in Ohio; domestic; $800 real estate.
Living next door in 1860 was Tilman's widowed mother and sister.14
Widow Leah and son Tilman were shown in the 1870 census (Jun 11 1870), living in the household of her parents, Barcley & Sarah Johnson, Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa:13
Johnson, Barckley, age 77, born in Virginia; farmer.
Johnson, Sarah [unclear], age 72, born in Virginia; keeping house.
Johnson, Malisa, age 46, born in Virginia; domestic servant.
Johnson, Sidna, female, age 39, born in Virginia; domestic servant.
Hinshaw, Leah, age 36, born in Virginia; domestic servant.
Johnson, Elwood, age 26, born in Virginia; farm laborer.
Living nearby in 1870 was the widow of Tilman's brother Benjamin.15
Leah remarried to Joel Cheshire Paxton, Oct 13 1875, Jefferson County, Iowa1 (spelled Paxson in some records).2,9,16 Leah then had an additional child, Annette/Annetta Paxson, born Sep 7 1876.9,16
Leah and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 1 1880), Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa:12
Paxon, Joel, age 60, born in Ohio; father born in Virginia; mother born in Massachusetts; farmer.
Paxon, Leah, wife, age 45, born Ohio; father born in Pennsylvania [unclear]; mother born in Iowa [unclear]; keeping house.
Paxon, Chandler, son, age 14, born in Iowa; parents born in Ohio; farmer; attended school.
Paxon, Annette, daughter, age 3, born in Iowa; parents born in Ohio.
Langdow, August, age 16, born in Sweden; parents born in Sweden; laborer.
Leah was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 4 1900), living in the household of daughter Annette (Paxson) Conrad in Britt Township, Hancock County, Iowa:11
Paxson, Leah G., mother-in-law, age 66, born Dec 1833 in Ohio; parents born in Virginia; [..martial status unclear..].
At Pleasant Plain MM on 12-8-1900, Leah was dropped from membership as she had "joined another society".1
Leah died Oct 28 19182,8 [Oct 28 19199]; buried Pleasant Plain MM, Jefferson County, Iowa2,8.
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- "Johnston of Caskieben, Crimond, and Caiesmill" by Lorand V. Johnson,
microfilm #0982174, Item 1, in the LDS Family History Library.
- Iowa Cemetery Records. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 5,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- WPA Iowa Graves Registration Survey; USGenWeb Archives:
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules; 1860, Des Moines Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; http://www.ancestry.com.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect GEDCOM from Patryka Tachick ().
- Ray Maris database: http://www.maris.net/gen.
- 1860 census, Pleasant Plains P.O., Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; roll M653-328, page 72, line #17, dwelling #506, family #477.
- 1900 census, Britt Township, Hancock County, Iowa; roll T623-434, ED 119, page 4A, line #42, dwelling #68, family #68.
- 1880 census, Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; roll T9-347, ED 76, page 302A-B, line #50, dwelling #9, family #9.
- 1870 census, Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; page 174, line #17, dwelling #99, family #99.
- 1860 census, Pleasant Plains P.O., Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; roll M653-328, page 72, line #18, dwelling #507, family #479.
- 1870 census, Penn Township, Jefferson County, Iowa; page 169, line #11, dwelling #50, family #50.
- Ohio River Valley Families Genealogical Database: http://orvf.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Fri Oct 21 10:57:05 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]