1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... William Hinshaw (1759-1807) m Margaret Hunt (1765-1828)
8........ William Hinshaw (1804-1887) m Matilda Bewley Doane (1804-1840)
9......... Thomas Doane Hinshaw (1835-1911) m Anna Harriet Lundy (1842-1890)
10.......... John Arno Hinshaw (1880-1951)
+Ila Florence Burnap (1882-1912)
+Bessie Elizabeth Phillips (1892-1988)
11........... John Arno Hinshaw (1925-) 1,2
11........... Joan Hinshaw (1927-) 1,2
John Arno Hinshaw [ID 00286]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Dec 1 18801,3,4,5,6,7,8 [about 18852], Hardin County, Iowa1,3,4,5,6,7,8.
He married Ila Florence Burnap, 1906.1,3,4,9,10,11 Ila, daughter of Harlan P. + Elisabeth Burnap12, was born Oct - 188212 [about 188611], Pennsylvania12.
At one time Ila sang soprano with her brother-in-law William Wade Hinshaw, together in "The Hinshaw Grand Opera Quartette" (see postcard photo below).
No issue from the first marriage.1,11,13
John and Ila were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 21 1910), 425 N. Central Ave., Chicago, Illinois:11
Hinshaw, John A., head-of-household, age 27, born in Iowa; parents born in U.S.; first marriage, married 3 years; occupation: manager, music conservatory; rented home.
Hinshaw, Ila B., wife, age 24, born in Pennsylvania; father born in New York; mother born in Pennsylvania; first marriage, married 3 years; no children.
In 1911 John was still living in Chicago, Illinois.14
Ila died Dec 24 1912, Oak Park Hospital, Oak Park, Cook County, Illinois; age 30.15,16,17 Death certificate #00017204.15 Ila died suddently;13 she had been giving a singing lesson at the conservatory on Christmas Eve, then fainted13 (or fell),17 and was taken to the hospital where she died.13,17
Ila's death was noted in "The Day Book" (Chicago, Illinois) on December 26, 191217 (see scan below).
On Sep 9 1918 John Arno Hinshaw, age 37, registered for the World War I draft in Chicago. His residence was recorded as 725 N. Central, Chicago. He was recorded as tall, slender, brown eyes, dark brown hair; occupation: "conducts school of music", Hinshaw Conservatory, 304 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago. He listed his nearest relative as Marvin V. Hinshaw, 725 N. Central Ave., Chicago.6
John was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 5 1920) living in the household of his brother Marvin at 725 N. Central Ave., Chicago, Illinois.18
He then married Bessie Elizabeth Phillips, 1923.1,3,4,10 Bessie was born Nov 22 1892, New York.2,5,7,8
John and Bessie were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 12 1930), Gary Ave., Milton Township, DuPage County, Illinois:2
Hinshaw, John A., head-of-household, age 45, born in Iowa; father born in Tennessee; mother born in Ohio; first married at age 38; owned home ($25,000 value); radio in home; occupation: manager, amusement; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Bessie E., wife, age 37, born in New York; parents born in New York; first married at age 30.
Hinshaw, John A. Jr.
, son, age 4 years 10 months, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in New York.
, daughter, age 3 years 1 month, born in Illinois; father born in Iowa; mother born in New York.
John Arno Hinshaw died 1951, buried Section OAK, Grandview Cemetery, Batavia, Genesee County, New York.7,8
Bessie died Jul 9 1988, buried Section OAK, Grandview Cemetery, Batavia, Genesee County, New York.5,7,8
Photo: John Arno Hinshaw
Photo: John Arno Hinshaw
Photo: Ila Florence Burnap
Photo: Ila Florence Burnap
Photo: Ila Florence Burnap obituary "Chicago Daily Tribune", Dec 28 1912
Photo: Ila Florence Burnap obituary "The Day Book", Dec 25 1912
Photo: The Hinshaw Grand Opera Quartette postcard
Social Security information for Bessie Elizabeth Phillips: 057-52-9900
- "Johnston of Caskieben, Crimond, and Caiesmill" by Lorand V. Johnson,
microfilm #0982174, Item 1, in the LDS Family History Library.
- 1930 census, Milton Township, DuPage County, Illinois; roll T626-511, ED 55, page 6A, line #16, dwelling #136, family #137.
- "The Landed Gentry", by Burke.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Melissa Kay Hinshaw Owens citing:
"Old Batavia Pioneer Cemetery Records" of Genesee County New York.
- Burials in Grandview Cemetery, Genesee Co., New York; USGenWeb Archives:
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- Contribution from Dee March ().
- 1910 census, 35th Ward, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T624-283, ED 1518, page 9B, line #93, dwelling #219, family #220.
- 1900 census, Denver, Arapahoe County, Colorado; roll T623-118, ED 56, page 10B, line #97.
- Contribution from Jim Schlauch ().
- Obituary of Thomas Doane Hinshaw, Dec 7 1911.
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916:
- Obituary of Ila Burnap Hinshaw; "Chicago Daily Tribune", Dec 28 1912;
"Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements", http://www.ancestry.com.
- Obituary of Ella Burnap Hinshaw; "The Day Book", Dec 26 1912;
Library of Congress, "Chronicling America" newspaper archive:
- 1920 census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; roll T625-353, ED 2122, page 3B, line #53, dwelling #46, family #65.
- Photo from the book "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", 1911.
- Photo courtesy of ().
- Photo courtesy of Jeffrey W. Hill ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]