1. Francis Hanshaw (c1802-1870)
+Mary Ann Obrion Simmons (c1801-?)
2.. Miram Hanshaw (1823->1900) 1,2,3
2.. Francis Hanshaw (1831-1914) 1,2,3,4,5
2.. John Jackson Hanshaw (1832-1913) 1,2,3,4,5
2.. William Hanshaw (1836-?) 4,5
2.. Henry H. Hanshaw (1837-?) 4,5
2.. Silas Smith Hanshaw (c1839-<1910) 1,2,3,4,5
2.. Sarah Jane Hanshaw (1842-1936) 1,2,3,4,5
2.. James M. Hanshaw (1844-?) 1,2,3,4,5,6
2.. Minerva Ann Hanshaw (1846-?) 4,5
2.. Perry Hanshaw (1848-1915) 1,2,3,4,5,6
Francis Hanshaw [ID 03552]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Francis Hanshaw4,6 [Francis Handshaw5,7].
Born about 18026 [about 18085], Norfolk County, Virginia6. [age 58 in the 1860 census;6 age 42 in the 1850 census].5
Family tradition has it that Francis was born in France,1,4 but there is reason to doubt this folklore. It is more probable that he would have been born in America (there is no other known Hanshaw/Henshaw etc. presence in France at any time). The 1850 census recorded his birthplace as Norfolk [county, Virginia],8 and the 1860 & 1870 censuses also recorded his birthplace as Virginia.9,10
Francis reportedly settled in Clay County, West Virginia, on the Elk River, downstream from Clay in the place commonly known as "Jack's Bend".1,11 He was called "Jack the Sailor".1
He married Mary Ann Obrion Simmons1 [Mary Ann Obrion1]. Mary was born about 18015 [about 17956,12]. [age 49 in the 1850 census;5 age 65 in the 1860 census;6 age 85 in the 1880 census].12 She was probably a daughter of Adam Obrien (Obrion / O'Brion).2,4
Mary Ann was the widow of Michael "Lum" Simmons,1,2,13,14 by whom she had two children:13,14
Elizabeth Simmons, born 1828; married William Stone (children: Lemuel C Stone, Mary E. & Martha A. Stone [twins], Sarah J. Stone, Edith A. Stone).
Francis Hanshaw and family were shown in the 1840 census, Nicholas County, West Virginia:15
Francis Hanshaw household:
2 males age 10-15 [Francis
1 male age 30-40 [Francis].
3 females age 10-15 [Miriam
1 female age 30-40 [Mary Ann].
11 persons total; 3 employed in agriculture.
1 white person over age 20 who cannot read and write.
Francis Handshaw and family were shown in the 1850 census (Aug 22 1850), Nicholas County, West Virginia:4,7,8
Francis Handshaw, age 42, born in Norfolk; farmer; $400 real estate.
Mary Handshaw, age 49, born in Virginia.
Elizabeth Simins, age 22, born in Virginia.
Francis and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 26 1860), Clay County, Virginia:6,9
Francis Hanshaw, age 58, born in Virginia; farmer; $600 real estate; $200 personal property.
Mary Ann Hanshaw, age 65, born in Virginia; wife; cannot read or write.
Elizabeth Boggs, age 25; "young lady". [a hired worker?]
Living next door in 1860 was the family of son Jackson.16
Francis and family were shown in the 1870 census (Aug 1 1870), Clay County, West Virginia:10
Hanshaw, Francis, age 70, born in Virginia; farmer; $500 real estate; $150 personal property; parents foreign-born [place unclear, but appears to be "Eng"].
Hanshaw, Mary A., age 65, born in Virginia; keeping house; cannot read or write.
Odell, AcenithLiving nearby in 1870 was the household of William H. Hanshaw.18
, age 11, born in Virginia; attended school; cannot read or write.
Francis Hanshaw died 1870.4
On Dec 12 1876 Mary A. Hanshaw was granted a pension as mother of Henry H. Hanshaw, veteran of Company M, 7th West Virginia Cavalry.19
Widow Mary Ann and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 23 1880), Clay County, West Virginia:12
Hanshaw, Mary A., age 85, born in Virginia; father born in New York; mother born in Virginia; widow; keeping house.
, grandson, age 14, born in West Virginia; parents born in Virginia; attended school; cannot read.
, granddaughter, age 12, born in West Virginia; parents born in Virginia; attended school; cannot read.
See also: Francis Handshaw #15899.
See also: William H. Hanshaw #11564 of Clay County, West Virginia.
See also: George W. Hanshaw of West Virginia.
See also: Mary Hanshaw who married about this same time in WVa.
This person's ancestry is unknown!
If you know who the parents were, please
- Contribution from Melissa Kay Hanshaw McLain citing:
Information from Minnie Hanshaw.
- "Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants", "Don Norman Family Files": http://www.rootsweb.com/~hcpd/norman/HANSHAW.
- Contribution from Melissa Kay Hanshaw McLain.
- Contribution from Gary Dudding.
- 1850 census, 43th District, Nicholas County, Virginia; roll 963, pg 366, family #351.
- USGenWeb Archives: Clay County WVA - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvclay/clacen2.htm.
- USGenWeb Archives: Nicholas County WVA - http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvnichol/html/1850h.htm.
- 1850 census, 43th District, Nicholas County, Virginia; roll M432-963, page 366, line #30, dwelling #351, family #351.
- 1860 census, Clay County, Virginia; page 85, line #27, dwelling #112, family #112.
- 1870 census, Clay Court House P.O., Union Township, Clay County, West Virginia; roll M593-1685, page 691, line #5, dwelling #15, family #14.
- Contribution from Steven Hanshaw ().
- 1880 census, Union District, Clay County, West Virginia; roll T9-1401, ED 24, page 312B, line #9, dwelling #40, family #40.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect GEDCOM from Cheri Astrahan ().
- Contribution from Diana L. Simmons Clark ().
- 1840 census, Nicholas County, Virginia; roll M704-571, page 13.
- 1860 census, Clay County, Virginia; page 85, line #23, dwelling #111, family #111.
- 1870 census, Clay Court House P.O., Union Township, Clay County, West Virginia; roll M593-1685, page 695, line #35, dwelling #15, family #14.
- 1870 census, Union Township, Clay County, West Virginia; page 692, line #33, dwelling #33, family #30.
- Civil War Pension Index; http://www.ancestry.com.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Wed Oct 26 10:34:36 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]