1. Benjamin Hinshaw (1795-1849) m Sarah A. Vestal (c1792-?)
2.. Nathan Hinshaw (1827-1876) m Mary Green Sloan (1832-1907)
3... Thomas Newton Hinshaw (1850-1904)
+Martha Ann Holcomb (1852-1926)
4.... William Newton "Newt" Hinshaw (1871-1932) 1,2,3
4.... Luther E. Hinshaw (c1876-?) 1,2
4.... Nathan S. Hinshaw (1876-1955) 1,2,4
4.... Robert E. Hinshaw (1880-?) 1,2
4.... Leola D. Hinshaw (1884-?) 1,5
4.... Lena M. Hinshaw (1888-?) 1,6
Thomas Newton Hinshaw [ID 00648]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jul 25 1850, Cass County, Missouri.1,2,7,8,9,10
He married Martha Ann Holcomb1,7,11 [Martha A. Halcomb11,12,13,14,15], May 8 18701,7,11, Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri1,7,11. Martha was born 1852, Lone Jack, Jackson County, Missouri.2,10,16,17
Note that Thomas' sister Martha married a Thomas Holcomb (relationship unknown).
Thomas and Martha were shown in the 1870 census (Aug 2 1870), Pleasant Hill, Cass County, Missouri:10
Hinshaw, Thomas, age 19, born in Missouri; farmer; $720 real estate; $100 personal property.
Hinshaw, Martha, age 17, born in Missouri; keeping [house].
Living next door in 1870 was the family of sister Martha (Hinshaw) Holcomb;18 one house farther was the household of Thomas' parents.19
Thomas and family were again shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15 1880), Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri:2
Hinshaw, Thomas, age 29, born in Missouri; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Missouri; farmer.
Hinshaw, Martha A., wife, age 27, born in Missouri; parents born in North Carolina; keeping house.
, son, age 6, born in Missouri; parents born in Missouri; attended school.
, son, age 1 month, born May 1880 in Missouri; parents born in Missouri.
Craytin, Nathan, boarder, age 16, born in Missouri; works on farm.
Coles, Mary, boarder, age 16, born in Missouri; house keeper.
Living nearby in 1880 was the household of Thomas' widowed mother.20
Thomas Newton Hinshaw died Mar 28 1904, Jackson County, Missouri.1,7,8
Widow Martha was shown in the 1920 census (Jan 14-15 1920), 3914 Belleview Ave., Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri:17
Hinshaw, Martha A., head-of-household, age 67, born in Missouri; parents born in North Carolina; rented home; widow.
Living nearby in 1920 was the family of son Robert.21
Martha died 1926, buried Jackson County, Missouri.8,16
Photo: Thomas Newton Hinshaw & Martha Ann Holcomb marriage record Cass County, Missouri
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- 1880 census, Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; roll T9-0680, ED 93, page 240D, line #40, dwelling #181, family #192.
- Death certificate of William Newton Hinshaw.
- Death certificate for Nathan S. Hinshaw.
- Birth record for Leola D. Hinshaw.
- Birth record for Lena M. Hinshaw.
- "The Hinshaw Family", an extensive family history manuscript by Heather Hinshaw-Tomas
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1860 census, Pleasant Hill P.O., Big Creek Township, Cass County, Missouri; page 883, line #34, dwelling #1298, family #1298.
- 1870 census, Pleasant Hill P.O., Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; page 680B, line #37, dwelling #46, family #43.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Missouri.
- Contribution from Frank Machala Hinshaw citing:
Cass County, Missouri: Marriage Book C (1866-1870).
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Missouri, 1851-1900 Marriage Index".
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Posting Aug 31 1999 by O.H. "Mac" McCullough () on MOCASS-L:
- 1920 census, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri; roll T625-925, ED 59, page 15A, line #10, dwelling #210, family #322.
- 1870 census, Pleasant Hill P.O., Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; page 680B, line #39, dwelling #47, family #44.
- 1870 census, Pleasant Hill P.O., Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; page 681A, line #1, dwelling #48, family #45.
- 1880 census, Polk Township, Cass County, Missouri; roll T9-0680, ED 93, page 240D-241A, line #48, dwelling #182, family #193.
- 1920 census, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri; roll T625-925, ED 59, page 14B, line #95, dwelling #263, family #318.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]