1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... Jesse Hinshaw (1720-1797) m Abigail Marshall (1724-1806)
7....... John Hinshaw (1747-1800) m Ruth (Pike) Weisner (1744-1795)
8........ Benjamin H. Hinshaw (1782-1866) m Annas Bowman (1790-1865)
9......... Seth Hinshaw (1818-1906) m Sarah Gregg (1819-1882)
10.......... Asael Gregg Hinshaw (1839-1892)
+Mary Jane Wright (1842-1911)
11........... Penn Sylvania Hinshaw (1862-1931) 1,2,3,4
11........... Flora May Hinshaw (1864-1941) 1,2,3,4,5
11........... Lillie Maude Hinshaw (1866-1926) 1,2,3,4,5
11........... Bert Wright Hinshaw (1868-1953) 1,2,3,4,5
11........... Benjamin Hinshaw (1872-1872) 1
11........... Effie Ann Hinshaw (1874-1959) 1,3,4,5
11........... Grace Gertrude Hinshaw (1877-1967) 1,3,4,5,6
11........... (stillborn son) Hinshaw (1881-1881) 7
Asael Gregg Hinshaw [ID 00974]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Asael Gregg Hinshaw1,8 [Asahel G. Hinshaw9,10, Asabel Hinshaw9].
Born 4-11-1839, Duck Creek MM, Indiana.1,2,4,5,6,9,10,11
The LDS IGI (an LDS member submission) shows a sister Isabel born on the same date as Asael (Asahel/Asabel). The LDS IGI is the only reference to this Isabel. She is not shown in the Quaker records. So, either Isabel and Asael were twins, or these really are the same person (which is most likely).
Asael was shown in the 1860 census (Aug 15 1860), living in the household of sister Teresa in Greensboro, Henry County, Indiana:11
, age 24, born in North Carolina; physician O.S.; $200 personal property.
Asahel Hinshaw, age 20, born in Indiana; clerk.
He married Mary Jane Wright, Apr 4 1861, Henry County, Indiana.1,4,12,13 Mary, daughter of John Wright & Martha Parkhurst1,4,5,6,14,15, was born Nov 14 18421,4,5,6,14,15 [about 18442], Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana1,4,5,6,14,15.
At Duck Creek MM on 11-22-1861, Asahel was complained of for neglected attendence of meeting and disowned 1-24-1861 (1862?).9
Asael and family were shown in the 1870 census (Sep 21 1870), Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana:2
Hinshaw, A.G., age 30, born in Indiana; peddler; $450 real estate; $100 personal property.
Hinshaw, Mary J., age 26, born in Indiana; keeping house.
Asael and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 7 1880), Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa:5
Hinshaw, Asael G., age 40, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother's birthplace unknown; occupation: lightning rod agent.
Hinshaw, Mary J., wife, age 37, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Pennsylvania; keeping house.
Hinshaw, Flora M.
, daughter, age 16, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; occupation: milliner.
Hinshaw, Lillie M.
, daughter, age 13, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Bertie W.
, son, age 10, born in Indiana; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Hinshaw, Effie A.
, daughter, age 6, born in Iowa; parents born in Indiana; attended school.
Asael Gregg Hinshaw died 1892, buried Fairview Cemetery, Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa.1,3
Mary Jane remarried to Henderson Pearson, Oct 6 1894, Henry County, Indiana.13 Henderson had been previously married Apr 30 1885 to Sarah J. Harden.13
Mary Jane and Henderson were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 6 1900), Kennard, Henry County, Indiana:14
Pearson, Henderson, head-of-household, age 63, born June 1836 in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; married 36 years [sic]; occupation: farmer; owned farm (free).
Pearson, Mary J., wife, age 56, born Nov 1842 in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; married 36 years [sic].
Living next door in 1900 was the family of nephew Benton Seth Hinshaw.16
Mary Jane and Henderson were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 22 1910), Henry County, Indiana:15
Pierson, Henderson, head-of-household, age 73, born in Indiana; parents born in North Carolina; second [unclear] marriage, married 14 years; occupation: own income; owned farm (free).
Pierson, Marry, wife, age 67, born in Indiana; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; second marriage, married 14 years; 7 children, 6 living.
Mary died Sep 29 1911, Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; buried with her second husband in Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana.1,3,17
Henderson Pearson died Dec 19 1913, Kennard, Henry County, Indiana.17
Photo: Mary Jane Wright
- "Hinshaw-Bernard and Related Families"
by Cordelia E. Bogue Wright, in the Family History Library of
the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS),
- 1870 census, Millville P.O., Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll M593-323, page 98, line #10, dwelling #284, family #298.
- Contribution from A. M. Greenlee ().
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1880 census, Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa; ED 217, page 117A, line #17, dwelling #218, family #230.
- "Webster Parry's Abstracts of Quaker Records", LDS microfilm #0367987
- Taylor County, Iowa Death Records; USGenWeb Archives:
- Henry County, Indiana Index to Marriage Records, Book 1, Vol. 4,
1850-1920, Indiana Works Progress Administration.
- "Abstracts of the Records of the Society of Friends in Indiana", Part 4,
subtitled "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume VII",
(a compendium of many of the records left by William Wade Hinshaw on
his death), edited by Willard Heiss; GS929.3 H47 in a local library.
- Seth Hinshaw family bible, from "Hinshaw Family Bible Records",
LDS microfilm 1906029, Item 1.
- 1860 census, Greensboro, Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll M653-266, page 445, line #40, dwelling #1663, family #9.
- Henry County, Indiana Index to Marriage Records, Book 1, Vol. 4,
1850-1920, Indiana Works Progress Administration; Book CC-2, page 484.
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1900 census, Kennard Corporation, Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll T623-377, ED 61, page 4B, line #99, dwelling #100, family #104.
- 1910 census, Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll T624-355, ED 81, page 11A, line #34.
- 1900 census, Kennard Corporation, Greensboro Township, Henry County, Indiana; roll T623-377, ED 61, page 4B, line #96, dwelling #99, family #103.
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Photo courtesy of Abby Mabry ().
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 19:59:42 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2020, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]