┌── Johnathan Hinshaw
Nathan Calwell Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1845 │
D: 1909 │
└── Lydia -
M: Rebecca Ellen York
├── Albert Lee Hinshaw (1879-1946) 1,2,3,4
└── Wilma E. Hinshaw (1896-1966) 3,5,6,7
Nathan Calwell Hinshaw [ID 08057]
||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: |
Nathan Calwell Hinshaw8,9,10 [Nathan C. Henshaw11,12,13, Nathaniel Henshaw14].
Born Mar 26 1845, Platte County, Missouri.1,2,6,10,15 (c1842, Missouri).11,12,16,17
Nathan was shown in the 1860 census, working as a farm hand (along with his brother William) in Pettis Township, Platte County, Missouri:16
Nathan Henshaw, age 19, born in Missouri; laborer; attended school.
In October 1863 Nathan registered for the Civil War draft in the Sixth Congressional District, Pettis, Platte County, Missouri:17
Henshaw, Nathan C., age 21, born in Missouri; farmer; unmarried; no previous military experience.
On Oct 17 1863 Nathan C. Hinshaw enlisted at Platte City, Missouri as a private in Company B, 82nd Regiment (Captain Simpson), Missouri Militia (Union). He was discharged Apr 21 1864, having served 187 days.18 His brothers Freeman and Ellis enlisted and were discharged on the same dates from the same unit.18
In 1865 Nathan went to Montana with a train of freight teams and spent two years there. He then spent a winter in Salt Lake, working on the Union Pacific Railroad. He then went to White Pine, and after a short time came to California, locating in Sonoma county, where he engaged in farming.1
Nathan was shown in the 1870 census, Alviso, Fremont Township, Santa Clara County, California, living in the household of his brother Jonathan:12
Henshaw, Nathan, age 28, born in Missouri; teamster; $1000 personal property.
On Aug 8 1871 Nathan and brother Jonathan registered to vote in Sonoma County, California:19
Hinshaw, Nathan Caldwell, age 29, born in Missouri; farmer; resident of Analy.
Nathan and brother Jonathan were shown in the San Jose and Santa Clara County Directory of 1871-72:20
Henshaw, J.A., Teamster, Mountain View
Henshaw, N., Teamster, Fremont tp.
In 1873 Nathan moved to Mendocino county, and engaged in farming one and one half miles from Ukiah. At the end of three years he engaged, in company with C.P. Smith, in the meat market business in Ukiah under the firm name of "Smith & Hinshaw". At the end of one year he disposed of this business and associated himself with A.C. Perry in the livery business in Ukiah.1
He married Rebecca Ellen York13,21,22 [Rebekah Ellen York13,22, Ellen York1,2], Sep 13 187413,21,22, Ukiah, Mendocino County, California13,21,22. (Sep 12 1874).1 Rebecca was born Mar 13 1856, California.1,2,6,10,15,23
Nathan's marriage was noted in the "Russian River Flag" (Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California) on September 24 1874:24,25
At Ukiah, Sept. 13, 1874, Nathan C. Henshaw to Rebekah Ellen York.
Nathan and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 17 1880), Ukiah Township, Mendocino County, California:2
Hinshaw, N C, age 35, born in Missouri; parents born in North Carolina; keeps livery stable.
Hinshaw, Ellen R., wife, age 24, born in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Missouri; keeping house.
, son, age 1, born in California; father born in Missouri; mother born in California.
Hinshaw, Wm W.
, brother, age 46, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; single; lumber dealer.
Federal land grant records show a grant in Mendocino County, California to Nathan C. Hinshaw on Oct 25 1889, and three more grants on Jul 11 1892.26
Nathan and family were shown in the 1900 census (Jun 15 1900), Ukiah Township, Mendocino County, California:6
Hinshaw, Nathan, head-of-household, age 55, born Mar 1845 in Missouri; parents born in North Carolina; married 25 years; occupation: farmer; rented farm.
Hinshaw, Rebeca E., wife, age 44, born Mar 1856 in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; married 25 years; 2 children, 2 living.
, daughter, age 4, born Mar 1896 in California; father born in Missouri; mother born in California.
In 1901 Nathan was still living in (or near) Ukiah, California.8
In 1902 Nathan was still living in (or near) Ukiah, California.27
Nathan Calwell Hinshaw died Oct 21 1909, Mendocino County, California; buried Russian River Cemetery, Ukiah, Mendocino County, California.9,10,15
Widow Rebecca and children were shown in the 1910 census (Apr 19 1910), 515 Walnut, Ukiah, Mendocino County, California:3
Hinshaw, Rebecca E., head-of-household, age 54, born in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; widow; 2 children, 2 living; owned home (free).
Hinshaw, Lee A.
, son, age 31, born in California; parents born in California; single; occupation: laborer.
, daughter, age 14, born in California; parents born in California; single; attended school.
Widow Rebecca was shown in the 1920 census (Feb 17-19 1920), living with son Albert in Analy Township, Sonoma County, California:23
Hinshaw, Albert E.
[sic], head-of-household, age 41, born in California; father born in Missouri; mother born in California; single; owned home; occupation: farmer, general farm.
Hinshaw, Rebecca E., mother, age 63, born in California; father born in North Carolina; mother born in Ohio; widow.
Rebecca died Feb 1 1923, buried Russian River Cemetery, Ukiah, Mendocino County, California.10,15
A biographical sketch of Nathan Calwell Hinshaw was published in the 1880 "History of Mendocino County, California"1,28 (see scan below).
Photo: Nathan Calwell Hinshaw biographical sketch "History of Mendocino County, California"
- "History of Mendocino County"; Lyman L. Palmer; 1880; p644
- 1880 census, Ukiah Township, Mendocino County, California; roll T9-0068, ED 57, page 198D, line #1, dwelling #111, family #111.
- 1910 census, Ukiah, Mendocino County, California; roll T624-88, ED 70, page 5B, line #62, dwelling #91, family #91.
- California Death Records database; RootsWeb:
- "Mendocino County Early Births Pre 1916":
- 1900 census, Ukiah Township, Mendocino County, California; roll T623-93, ED 76, page 8B, line #72, dwelling #169, family #173.
- California Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Obituary of William W. Hinshaw, San Jose Daily Mercury Jan 3 1901.
- "Mendocino County Death Index, Books 3 - 6, 1907-1917":
- Burials in Ukiah Cemetery, Mendocino County, California; USGenWeb:
- "1850 Census Platte County, Missouri", Part II, by Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry
(an abstract of the 1850 census); household #310; GR929.3778 E47 in a local library.
- 1870 census, Alviso, Fremont Township, Santa Clara County, California; page 44B, line #36, dwelling #54, family #53.
- Posting Jul 5 2000 by Jeanne Taylor () to NEWSPAPER-ABSTRACTS-L citing:
The "Russian River Flag" newspaper, Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California; Sep 24 1874.
- "Early Settlers File", Santa Clara [California] Genealogical Society, Santa Clara City Library:
an account of Jonathan Armstrong Henshaw by his daughter, Bertha Henshaw Eaton.
- "Mendocino County Cemetery Index":
- 1860 census, Pettis Township, Platte County, Missouri; page 635, line #6, dwelling #854, family #852.
- U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Missouri Secretary of State, State Archives, Soldiers Database:
- California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898; http://www.ancestry.com.
- San Jose and Santa Clara Directory, 1871-72.
- Posting Jul 9 2000 by Jeanne Taylor () to NEWSPAPER-ABSTRACTS-L citing:
The "Russian River Flag" newspaper, Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California; Oct 8 1874.
- Mendocino County Marriage Index:
- 1920 census, Analy Township, Sonoma County, California; roll T625-150, ED 189, page 1B, line #56, dwelling #14, family #14.
- California Federal Land Grants, USGenWeb Archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ca/ca-land.htm.
- Index to the Mendocino County "1902 Great Register":
- "History of Mendocino County, California"; 1880, Alley, Bowen & Co.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]