1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... Ezra Hinshaw (1753-1836) m Ruth Marshill (1759-1857)
8........ Hannah Hinshaw (1786-1856)
+James McMasters (1791-1851)
Hannah Hinshaw [ID 00117]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born 7-1-1786, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,2,3
She married James McMasters, 7-4-1810, Randolph County, North Carolina.2,4,5,6 James, son of Samuel McMasters & Nancy Warren, was born 4-25-1791.2,7,8
A marriage bond was recorded for Hannah Hinshaw & James McMasters on July 4, 1810, Randolph County, North Carolina.9
At Cane Creek MM on 5-2-1812, Hannah McMasters (formerly Hinshaw) was disowned for her "marriage out of unity" (and on the same date her sister Dinah was also disowned).1
Note that Hannah and her brother Thomas and sister Dinah married sibblings: James McMasters was the brother of Thomas' wife Mary McMasters and Dinah's husband Elisha McMasters.2
Emelina/Evelina McMasters, born 3-5-1811; died 5-24-1848; married Isaac Hobson, 11-26-1826.
Amy McMasters, born 9-3-1815; died 12-1838; married John W. Miller, 12-22-1836.
Lewis McMasters, born 5-12-1817; married Permelia Jones, 7-16-1840.
Rufus McMasters, born 2-6-1821; married Margaret Milligan, 1-3-1869.
Samuel McMasters, born 3-7-1826; married 1) Nancy A. Waynick, 8-26-1845; 2) Rachel Stafford, 10-11-1887.
Miles McMasters; married Mary A. Cox, 4-29-1869.
Hannah and James, along with one or more of his McMasters brothers, settled in the northwest corner of Parke County, Indiana, near the present town of Tangier. They named their new township "Liberty" in honor of their previous home: Liberty Township, Randolph County, North Carolina.15
Hannah and James were shown in the 1850 census, Liberty Township, Parke County, Indiana:16
James McMasters, age 65, born in North Carolina; farmer; $1000 real estate.
Hannah McMasters, age 64, born in North Carolina.
Living next door in 1850 was the family of son Lewis;13 also living very nearby was the family of son Samuel.14
James died 7-2-1851, buried Rush Creek Cemetery, Parke County, Indiana.2,8,11
Hannah Hinshaw died 10-22-1856.2
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting,
Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a
typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of
the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical
Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
- Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- Contribution from William Banks Hinshaw.
- "North Carolina Marriages to 1825" (www.ancestry.com).
- "Hinshaw Family Genealogical Notes", apparently prepared for William Wade Hinshaw
by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1571899, Items 7-8
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- http://www.ancestry.com GEDCOM file F1701.GED.
- Contribution from Dale Hinshaw McMasters.
- Contribution from Larry Seits () citing:
Phyllis D. McMaster: "A McMasterpiece: The Story of James McMasters and his Descendants through Five Generations" (Albany, OR: privately published, June 1986), p. 73 [pp. 1-110].
- 1850 census, Liberty Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M432-164, page 185, line #16, dwelling #396, family #396.
- 1850 census, Liberty Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M432-164, page 185, line #24, dwelling #401, family #401.
- Contribution from Larry Seits ().
- 1850 census, Liberty Township, Parke County, Indiana; roll M432-164, page 185, line #22, dwelling #397, family #397.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]