1. John Hanshaw (c1785-?) m Rebecca Goudy (c1795-?)
2.. Andrew Lewis Hanshaw (1836-1926)
+Susanah Argo (1840-1895)
3... James Grant Hanshaw (1868-1955) 1,2,3,4
3... William Albert Hanshaw (1869-1972) 1,2,3,4
3... Edward T. Hanshaw (c1873-1937) 3,4
3... Emma Hanshaw (c1875-1895) 3,4,5
3... Clara Hanshaw (1878-1957) 3,4,6
Andrew Lewis Hanshaw [ID 11942]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jan 1 1836, Winfield, Putnam County, Virginia.1,4,7,8,9,10 (c1835, Ohio).11 (c1835, Virginia).2
On Aug 22 1862 Andrew enlisted as a Private in Company D, 29th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.1,12,13,14 (Company L).10 When he enlisted he was described as 5'8", fair complexion, blue eyes, dark hair,1 a resident of Knox, Indiana.13 He was wounded on Dec 31 1862 at Stone River, Tennessee.13 Discharged because of wounds on Mar 17 1863.13
He married Susanah Argo15,16 [Susan Heminger Argo1, Susan Heminger1,6,17], Feb 24 186715,16, Marshall County, Indiana15,16. (Feb 10 1869, Knox, Starke County, Indiana).1 Susanah, daughter of Jacob J. Heminger, was born 1840, Clermont County, Ohio.1,4,17 (1843).2,17
Susan/Susanah had been previously married to Joseph Argo, Nov 15 1857,1 Stark County, Indiana;18 he had died Sep 20 1863.18 They had one daughter, Sarah Isabel Argo18 (1858-1878, married Abraham French).19
Note that Andrew's brother John married a Mary A. Heminger (relationship unknown).
Andrew and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 23 1870), North Bend Township, Starke County, Indiana:2
Hanshaw, Andrew, age 35, born in Virginia; laborer; $300 real estate; $200 personal property.
Hanshaw, Susannah, age 27, born in Ohio; keeping house.
Argo, Sarah [unclear], age 10, born in Indiana; attended school.
Living next door in 1870 was the family of brother John.20
Andrew and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 17 1880), Aubbeenaubbee Township, Fulton County, Indiana:3
Hanshaw, Andrew, age 45, born in Virginia; parents born in Pennsylvania; farmer.
Hanshaw, Susan, wife, age 41, born in Ohio; parents born in Pennsylvania; keeping house.
, son, age 12, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
, son, age 10, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio; attended school.
, son, age 6, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
, daughter, age 5, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
, daughter, age 1, born in Indiana; father born in Virginia; mother born in Ohio.
On Jul 26 1880 [or 1890 - year unclear], Andrew L. Hanshaw applied for a Civil War Pension as an invalid veteran of Company D, 24th Indiana Infantry.21 The pension application was filed in Nebraska.21
In Sep 1883 Andrew L. Hanshaw homesteaded 160 acres of land in Gosper County, Nebraska. He built a 16'x30' sod house with a shingle roof, with a well, a windmill and a stable. 90 acres under cultivation and 40 acress fenced for pasture. He declared he was living on the homestead with his wife and three children.22
Andrew and family were shown in the 1885 Nebraska State Census (Jun 2 1885), Highland Precinct, Gosper County, Nebraska:4
A.L. Henshaw, age 49, born in Virginia.
Susan Henshaw, age 44, born in Ohio.
On Jul 26 1890 Andrew L. Hanshaw applied, in Nebraska, for a pension as an invalid veteran of Company D, 29th Indiana Infantry.14
Susanah died Sep - 1895, buried Highland Union Cemetery, Gosper County, Nebraska.1,17
Widower Andrew was shown in the 1910 census (Apr 16 1910), living in the household of son Edward on Duncan Ave., Laird, Yuma County, Colorado:9
Hanshaw, Andrew L., father, age 74, born in West Virginia; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Maryland; widower; 5 children, 4 living.
Andrew Lewis Hanshaw died Mar 22 1926, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa; buried Section 03, Walnut Hill Cemetery, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa.10 (Mar 23 1926).1,7 (Mar 21 1926).6
Photo: Andrew Lewis Hanshaw approximately age 64
Photo: Andrew Lewis Hanshaw gravestone Walnut Hill Cemetery
Photo: Susan Heminger Argo gravestone Highland Union Cemetery, with daughter Emma
- LDS "Pedigree Resource File".
- 1870 census, San Pierre P.O., North Bend Township, Starke County, Indiana; roll M593-359, page 23, line #1, dwelling #92, family #84.
- 1880 census, Aubbeenaubbee Township, Fulton County, Indiana; roll T9-0278, ED 37, page 6C, line #6, dwelling #105, family #105.
- Nebraska State Census 1885, ED 192, page 9B; http://www.ancestry.com.
- RootsWeb WorldConnect GEDCOM from Anthony Coyan ().
- Contribution from Dave Lindsey.
- 1860 census, North Bend P.O., North Bend Township, Starke County, Indiana; roll M653-297, page 387, line #19, dwelling #73, family #73.
- 1910 census, Precinct 1, Laird, Yuma County, Colorado; roll T624-124, ED 293, page 108A, line #15, dwelling #27, family #27.
- 1850 census, Noble Township, Wabash County, Indiana; roll M432_178; page 434, line #12, dwelling #304, family #406.
- "Civil War Service Records"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "The American Civil War Research Database", Ancestry, Inc.
- U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Marriage Index: Indiana, 1851-1900; Marshall, Indiana - courthouse records.
- "Indiana Marriages, 1845-1920"; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1870 census, San Pierre P.O., North Bend Township, Starke County, Indiana; roll M593-359, page 23, line #6, dwelling #93, family #85.
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- Nebraska, Homestead Records, 1861-1936; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Photo courtesy of Dave Lindsey.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]