1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... William Hinshaw (1759-1807) m Margaret Hunt (1765-1828)
8........ Ezra Hinshaw (1797-1874) m Jane Woodward (1798-1882)
9......... Jesse Hinshaw (1824-1901) m Julia Hadley (1824-1892)
10.......... Dillon Stalker Hinshaw (1857-1942) m Rosa Viola Bales (1868-1934)
11........... Loren Levi Hinshaw (1890-1965)
+Gertrude Pearl Shy (1895-1989)
12............ Kermit Leon Hinshaw (1919-2014) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
12............ Loren Keith Hinshaw (1928-1929) 1,2,3,4,5
12............ Kevin Dean Hinshaw (1932-2010) 1,2,3,4,8
Loren Levi Hinshaw [ID 01369]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born May 24 1890, one mile east of Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa.5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
At Richland MM on 5-7-1921, Loren was received by request.1
He married Gertrude Pearl Shy1,5,16 [Gertie Shy1], Jan 6 19161,5,16, at the Friend's Parsonage, Richland, Iowa1,5,16. Gertrude, daughter of John Shy & Elizabeth Altman, was born Mar 19 1895, Blackhawk Township, Jefferson County, Iowa.1,6,7,8,10,16
On Jun 5 1917 Loren L. Hinshaw, age 27, registered for the World War I draft in Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa. He declared he was born May 24 1890 in Richland, Iowa, and was then still residing in Richland where he was married and a self-employed farmer. He was recorded as medium height, stout, blue eyes, light brown hair.14
Loren and family were shown in the 1920 census (Jan 6 1920), Richland Township, Keokuk County, Iowa:6
Hinshaw, Loren, head-of-household, age 29, born in Iowa; parents born in Iowa; owned home; occupation: farmer, general farm.
Hinshaw, Gertrie, wife, age 24, born in Iowa; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Iowa.
Living next door in 1920 were Loren's parents.17 The above 1920 census page was enumerated by first cousin William Franklin Hinshaw.6
Loren and family were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 18 1930), Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa:7
Hinshaw, Loren, head-of-household, age 39, born in Iowa; parents born in Iowa; first married at age 25; owned home; radio in home; occupation: auctioneer, sales; not a veteran.
Hinshaw, Gertrude, wife, age 35, born in Iowa; parents born in Iowa; first married at age 20.
Hinshaw, KermitLiving nearby in 1930 was the family of cousin William Warren "Jack" Hinshaw.18
, son, age 11, born in Iowa; parents born in Iowa; attended school.
Loren and family were shown in the 1940 census (Apr 8 1940), Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa:8
Hinshaw, Loren L, head-of-household, age 49, born in Iowa; completed 3 years of high school; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; owned farm ($1500 value); occupation: farmer, farming.
Hinshaw, Gertrude P, wife, age 45, born in Iowa; completed 8th grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house.
Hinshaw, Kermit L
, son, age 21, born in Iowa; completed 4 years of high school; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; occupation: farmer, farming.
Hinshaw, Kevin D
, son, age 7, born in Iowa; completed 1st grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; attended school.
Hinshaw, Dillon S
, father, age 82, born in Iowa; completed 8th grade; on Apr 1 1935 was living in the same house; widower.
Loren Levi Hinshaw died Nov 20 1965, Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa; buried Richland Friend's Cemetery, Richland, Iowa.9,10,15
Gertrude died Feb 28 1989, Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa; buried Richland Friend's Cemetery, Richland, Iowa.10,16
Photo: Loren Levi Hinshaw World War I draft registration card
Photo: Loren Levi Hinshaw & Gertrude Pearl Shy wedding photo
Photo: Loren Levi Hinshaw & Gertrude Pearl Shy gravestone Richland Friends' Cemetery
Photo: Gertrude Pearl Shy obituary "Fairfield Ledger" (Fairfield Iowa), Mar 3 1989
Social Security information for Loren Levi Hinshaw: 483-38-6612
Social Security information for Gertrude Pearl Shy: 485-62-5551
- "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records",
a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- Contribution from Dixie Lee Hinshaw Richardson.
- "Richland Bicentennial History Book", (Richland, Iowa), a history written in
1976 in celebration of the U.S. Bicentennial, including a Hinshaw article
substantially by Katherine Elvira Hinshaw Jones.
Contributed by Nadine Holder () via Dixie Lee Hinshaw Richardson.
- Obituary of Kermit Leon Hinshaw.
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1920 census, Richland Township, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T625-497, ED 55, page 1B, line #89, dwelling #25, family #25.
- 1930 census, Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T626-662, ED 20, page 4A, line #28, dwelling #111, family #111.
- 1940 census, Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T627-1172, ED 54-20, page 3A, line #33, household #73.
- Contribution from Dixie Lee Hinshaw Richardson citing:
Obituary of Loren Levi Hinshaw, "Richland Clarion", Nov 1965.
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- Iowa State Census, 1895; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1900 census, Richland Township, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T623-441, ED 49, page 9B, line #80, dwelling #220, family #223.
- 1910 census, Richland Township District 3, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T624-409, ED 54, page 130B, line #98, dwelling #63, family #65.
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Dixie Lee Hinshaw Richardson citing:
Obituary of Gertrude Pearl (Shy) Hinshaw, "Richland Clarion", Feb 1989.
- 1920 census, Richland Township, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T625-497, ED 55, page 1B, line #87, dwelling #24, family #24.
- 1930 census, Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa; roll T626-662, ED 20, page 4A-4B, line #47, dwelling #115, family #115.
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Sallie Anne Hinshaw" posted by "sallie1957" (Sallie Anne Hinshaw).
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2020, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]