1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... Thomas Hinshaw (1757-1825) m Rebecca Marshill (1762-1836)
8........ Simon Hinshaw (1785-1852) m Rebecca Hobson (1784-1855)
9......... Enan Hinshaw (1824-1901) m Rebecca Ingram (1829-1908)
10.......... Charles Newton Hinshaw (1849-1918) m Anna Ella Smith (1852-1947)
11........... Edward Newton Hinshaw (1877-1951) m Lona Maude Plunkett (1882-1951)
12............ Merton Edward Hinshaw (1921-1996)
+Georgia Imogene "Jean" Cook (1917-2012)
Merton Edward Hinshaw [ID 01796]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Jan 21 1921, Danvers, McLean County, Illinois.1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Merton was educated as follows:
Sibley Grade School (Sibley, Ford County, Illinois), graduated May 24 1934, 7th Grade.
Sibley Community High School (Sibley, Ford County, Illinois), graduated May 26 1939.
Illinois State Normal University (Normal, Illinois), 1940;
University of California at Berkeley (Berkeley, California), graduated Jun 7 1948 with a B.A. in Zoology.
Attended San Francisco State College (San Francisco, California), 1949.
Attended University of Arizona, Summer 1963. course in anthropology.
Attended Yale University (New Haven, Connecticut), Summer 1964, course in invertebrate zoology.
4While attending college Merton lived part time with his older sister Eva and her family, in Heyworth, Illinois.10
Merton was shown in the 1940 city directory of Bloomington, Illinois:11
Hinshaw Merton E student ISNU r Heyworth
After college Merton served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army5,7,10 (service dates Nov 25 1942 - Dec 11 1945).7,8 On Jul 8 1940 Merton E. Hinshaw, born 1921 in Illinois, had enlisted as a private in the U.S. Army. He declared he had one year of college, and was then single, without dependents.12
He married Georgia Imogene "Jean" Cook, Jan 23 1943, Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.4 Georgia was born Jul 7 1917, Southey, Saskatchewan, Canada.4
On Mar 29 1949 Merton became a Life Member at the California Academy of Sciences (Golden Gate Park, San Francisco).4
Merton was a curator/director of the Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History in Pacific Grove, California.4,10,13 He was also an amateur artist.4,10
Merton and Imogene were shown in the 1951 city directory of Monterey / Pacific Grove, California:11
Hinshaw Merton E (Imogene E) curator Pacific Grove Museum h165 Forest av
Merton and Imogene were shown in the 1956 city directory of Monterey / Pacific Grove, California:11
Hinshaw Merton E (Imogene) dir Pacific Grove Museum h165 Forest av (PG)
Merton and Imogene were shown in the 1957 city directory of Monterey / Pacific Grove, California:11
Hinshaw Merton E dir City Museum r165 Forest av (PG)
In 1960-1972 Merton was director/curator of the Charles Bowers Memorial Museum, 2002 N. Main St., Santa Ana, California.13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21
In 1988 Merton was living in Yucaipa, California.22 In 1996 Merton was living in/near Santa Ana, Orange County, California.1
Merton Edward Hinshaw died Aug 16 1996, Orange, Orange County, California; cremated, buried Aug 23 1996, section 46A site 451, Riverside National Cemetery, 22495 Van Buren Boulevard, Riverside, Riverside County, California.1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Merton's obituary was published in the "Pantagraph" (Bloomington, Illinois) on August 24, 1996.23
Georgia died Jul 19 2012, at her home, Santa Ana, Orange County, California; age 95.4
Photo: Merton Edward Hinshaw 1962, Santa Ana, California (holding a mastodon bone)
Social Security information for Merton Edward Hinshaw: 329-14-0092
- "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from
the Social Security Administration "Death Master File".
- RootsWeb California Death Index:
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from David W. Jones.
- Burials at Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside, California:
- U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. School Yearbooks; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Diane Adele Hantover Bennett ().
- U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 (Beta); http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Aug 25 1962; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Orange County Under Spain, Mexico and the United States", by Don Meadows, 1966; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Independent Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Aug 26 1962; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Independent Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Aug 28 1966; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Independent Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Oct 2 1966; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Aug 5 1969; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Press-Telegram" (Long Beach, California), Jan 23 1970; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Independent" (Long Beach, California), Apr 28 1970; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "Star-News" (Pasadena, California), Dec 8 1972; http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 1; http://www.ancestry.com.
- The Obituary Daily Times archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~obituary.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]