1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... Thomas Hinshaw (1757-1825) m Rebecca Marshill (1762-1836)
8........ Simon Hinshaw (1785-1852) m Rebecca Hobson (1784-1855)
9......... Enan Hinshaw (1824-1901)
+Rebecca Ingram (1829-1908)
10.......... Charles Newton Hinshaw (1849-1918) 1,2,3,4
10.......... Phoebe Hannah Hinshaw (1847-1917) 1,2,3,4
10.......... Nancy J. Hinshaw (1851-1872) 1,2,4,5
10.......... Mary Elizabeth Hinshaw (1853-1926) 1,2,4,5
Enan Hinshaw [ID 00027]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born Sep 22 1824, Randolph County, North Carolina.1,3,4,6,7,8,9,10
Enan was a farmer in McLean County, Illinois.1,3
He married Rebecca Ingram, Jun 11 1846, McLean County, Illinois.1,2,4,9,11,12,13,14 Rebecca Ingram was born Nov 14 18293,6,8,9,15 [Nov 30 18291,4,9,16,17], Ohio3,6,8,9,15.
Enan and family were shown in the 1850 census, McLean County, Illinois:15,18
Enon Hinshaw, age 26, born in North Carolina; farmer.
Rebecca Hinshaw, age 21, born in Ohio.
On Sep 1 1852, Enan acquired 161.4 acres of land in McLean County, Illinois, purchased from the federal government for $1.25 per acre: McLean County, Meridian 3, Township 23N (north) / Range 01W (West), Section 6, NEPRE Section Part. Residency was recorded as McLean County, Ill.19,20
Enan and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 14 1860), Stout's Grove, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois:21
E. Henshaw, age 36, born in North Carolina; farmer; $2500 real estate; $500 personal property.
Rebecca Henshaw, age 31, born in Ohio.
Enan and Rebecca were shown in the 1870 census (Jun 7 1870), Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois:22
Hinshaw, Enan, age 46, born in North Carolina; farmer; $4800 real estate; $1000 personal property.
Hinshaw, Rebecca, wife, age 41, born in Ohio; keeping house.
Enan and Rebecca were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 10 1880), Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois:23
Hinshaw, Enan, age 55, born in North Carolina; both parents born in North Carolina; farmer.
Hinshaw, Rebecca, wife, age 50, born in Ohio; both parents born in Virginia; keeping house.
Smith, JennieLiving next door in 1880 was the family of daughter Mary.24
, granddaughter, age 7, born in Illinois; father born in Pennsylvania; mother born in Illinois.
Enan and Rebecca were shown in the 1900 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois:25
Enan Hinshaw, age 75, born Sep 1824 in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; retired farmer; can read, write and speak English; house, owned free.
Rebecca Hinshaw, wife, age 70, born Nov 1829 in Ohio; parents born in Virginia; 7 children, 3 living; can read and speak English, cannot write.
Anna Lillenthal, servant, age 20, born Nov 1879 in Illinois; parents born in Germany; house servant.
Enan and Rebecca were known as "Pappy" (or "Pap") and "Mam", not only to their own family but to all the local residents as well.26
Enan Hinshaw died Mar 2 1901, McLean County, Illinois; buried in the Hinshaw Cemetery, near Danvers, McLean County, Illinois.1,4,6,8,9
Rebecca Ingram died Jul 24 1908, McLean County, Illinois; buried in the Hinshaw Cemetery, near Danvers, McLean County, Illinois.1,4,8,9,16
Photo: Memorial card from Enan Hinshaw's funeral
- "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw;
edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911;
Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Illinois.
- United States National Archives, federal Census, 1850.
- Family group sheets from Randy Hunter ()
- 1860 census, Stout's Grove, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; page 46, dwelling #317, family #309.
- Gravestone inscriptions in the Hinshaw Cemetery, Stout's Grove Cemetery,
Parklawn (Danvers) Cemetery, & Scogin Hill Cemetery, McLean County, Illinois.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- "McLean County Cemeteries", Vol. 11-2, Danvers Township, by the
Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society (McLean County Historical Soc.).
- "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting,
Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a
typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of
the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical
Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
- 1900 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll T623_322.
- Letters from Warren Gfeller, Wichita, KS (re George/Polly Toliver).
- "Illinois Marriages to 1850" (www.ancestry.com).
- Contribution from Mara Bruce () citing:
"McLean Co. Marriage Records 1831 - 1872", Book B, page 128.
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900 (book B, page 128):
- "1850 Federal Census, McLean County, Illinois" (a summary),
GR929.377359 G38 in a local library.
- "Hinshaw Family Genealogical Notes", apparently prepared for William Wade Hinshaw
by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1571899, Items 7-8
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1850 census, McLean County, Illinois; roll 117, page 43, family #853.
- State of Illinois, Public Domain Land Tract Sales Archive
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management - Land Patent database: http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/
- 1860 census, Stout's Grove, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll M653-204, page 46, line #3, dwelling #317, family #309.
- 1870 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; page 344, line #10, dwelling #214, family #215.
- 1880 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll T9-229, ED 154, page 42B, line #34, dwelling #158, family #162.
- 1880 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; roll T9-229, ED 154, page 42B, line #37, dwelling #159, family #163.
- 1900 census, Danvers Township, McLean County, Illinois; ED 100, page 11A, line #3, dwelling #237, family #238.
- Interview with Lola Hinshaw Worley.
- Photo courtesy of David W. Jones.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Thu Oct 20 10:26:59 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2020, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]