1. Daniel Henshaw (c1817-1891)
+Emily Merritt (c1817-1892)
2.. James Gaston Henshaw (1844-1903) 1,2,3
2.. Americus Xaverus Henshaw (1847-1910) 1,2,3,4,5
2.. Solon C. Henshaw (c1850-1906) 2,3
2.. Daniel Gilbert Henshaw (1853-1922) 2,3,4
Daniel Henshaw [ID 09247]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Born about 1817, Ohio.1,4 (c1819).3 (c1820).6
In 1844 Daniel was commissioned a captain in the Ohio state militia, as follows:7
In the Name and by the Authority of the State of Ohio. Mordecai Bartley, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of said State. To Daniel Henshaw Greeting: It appearing to me that you were duly elected on the 23rd day of September 1844, Captain of the [Mark] (unclear) Blues Co. 1st Rifle Battalion, 1st Brigade, and 22nd Division of the Militia of this State: Now Know You, that, by the powers vested in me by the Constitution and Laws of said State, and reposing special trust and confidence in your courage, activity, fidelity and good conduct, I do, by these presents, commission you as Captain of said Company for the term of Six Years, and hereby authorize and require you to discharge all and singular the duties and services appertaining to your said office, aggreably to law, and to obey such instructions as you shall, from time to time, receive from your superior officer. In Testimony Whereof, I have hereunto set my name, and caused the Great Seal of the State of Ohio to be affixed, at Columbus, the 28th day of June, in the Year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty five and in the 69th year of the Independence of the United States of America.
For the Governor: Sam Galloway, Secretary of State.
He married Emily Merritt, Nov 18 1841, Athens County, Ohio.1,4,8,9 Emily, daughter of Calvin Merritt & Mehitable Pratt, was born about 1817, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.1,6,9 (c1815, Pennsylvania).4
Daniel and family were shown in the 1850 census, Grant County, Wisconsin:1
Daniel Henshaw, age 32, born in Ohio; blacksmith.
Emily Henshaw, age 33, born in Pennsylvania.
Louisa Merutt [or Merritt - unclear], age 31, born in Pennsylvania.
Horace Spear, age 18, born in Ohio; blacksmith.
Daniel and family were shown in the 1854 Iowa state census, Jackson Township, Lee County, Iowa:10
Daniel Henshaw household:
6 persons total in household.
Daniel and family were shown in the 1856 Iowa state census, Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa:2
Henshaw, Daniel, age 38, born in Ohio; blacksmith; Wisconsin resident 2 years; 7 acres of spring wheat, 2 acres of winter wheat; 6 acres of oats, 150 bushels harvested; 25 acres of corn, 1220 bushels harvested; 1/2 acre of potatoes, 40 bushels harvested; 14 hogs sold ($100 value); 4 cattle sold ($107 value); 76 lbs. of butter produced; 16 lbs. of wool produced; $1500 lumber.
Henshaw, Emily, age 39, born in Pennsylvania; Wisconsin resident 2 years.
, age 5, born in Wisconsin; Wisconsin resident 2 years [sic].
McDonald, James, age 23, born in Illinois; blacksmith; Wisconsin resident 2 years.
Daniel and family were shown in the 1860 census (Jun 1 1860), Chillicothe P.O., Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa:3
Daniel Henshaw, age 41, born in Ohio; artist; $400 real estate; $50 personal property.
Emily Henshaw, age 44, born in Pennsylvania.
During the Civil War, Daniel served in Company F, 4th Iowa Cavalry. He enlisted as a wagoner on Oct 14 1861; discharged as a private on May 1 1862, disabled.11,12 On Jul 7 1862, Daniel Henshaw, age 44, again enlisted as a sergeant in Company K, 18th Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Daniel claimed residence in Chillicothe, Iowa.11,13,14 Promoted to second lieutenant Aug 6 1862;14 resigned Mar 25 1863.14
Daniel and family were shown in the 1870 census, Chillicothe, Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa:4
Henshaw, Daniel, age 53, born in Ohio; $800 real estate; $300 personal property; insurance agent.
Henshaw, Emily, age 55, born in Pennsylvania; keeping house.
Living nearby in 1870 was the family of son James Gaston Henshaw.15
On Dec 22 1873 Emily Henshaw applied for a Civil War Pension as wife of Daniel Henshaw, invalid veteran of Company F, 4th Iowa Cavalry and of Company K, 18th Iowa Infantry.16,17
Daniel and Emily were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 12 1880), living with the family of son Americus in Bolton Township, Cowley County, Kansas:6
, age 32, born in Illinois; father born in Ohio; mother born in Pennsylvania; farmer.
Henshaw, Anna W
, wife, age 25, born in Illinois; father born in Germany; mother born in Illinois; keeping house.
Henshaw, Daniel, age 60, born in Ohio; parents born in New York; farmer.
Henshaw, Emily, wife, age 63, born in Pennsylvania; father born in Vermont; mother born in Massachusetts; keeping house.
Daniel Henshaw died Mar 6 1891, New Hampton, Harrison County, Missouri.8,18
On Mar 14 1891, in Missouri, Emily Henshaw again applied for a pension as widow of Daniel Henshaw, veteran of Company F, 4th Iowa Cavalry and of Company K, 18th Iowa Infantry.16,17
Emily died 1892.18
The following Henshaws were shown together with Daniel and Emily in an old family bible:18
Chas. Gilbert Henshaw, died June 20, 1874.
S. C. Henshaw, died 1901.
Chas. Gilbert Henshaw might possibly be Daniel's father.19 S.C. Henshaw refers to son Solon C. Henshaw, but it is unknown why there were two entries for S.C. Henshaw in this bible.
Daniel might be a son of Harry Henshaw #4844 & Minerva Fuller.19 Harry's widow and two of his children were living very nearby to Daniel in 1860, Wapello County, Iowa.
See also: John Henshaw #5596 who was born in Wisconsin about the same time that Daniel & Emily were in Wisconsin, and who might be closely related.19
This person's ancestry is unknown!
If you know who the parents were, please
- 1850 census, Grant County, Wisconsin; roll M432-998, page 3, line #15, dwelling #28, family #30.
- 1856 Iowa state census, Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; roll IA-67, page 719, line #1, dwelling #25.
- 1860 census, Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 590B, line #9, dwelling #10, family #10.
- 1870 census, Chillicothe P.O., Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 45, line #16, dwelling #4, family #4.
- 1870 census, Chillicothe Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 45, line #16, dwelling #4, family #4.
- 1880 census, Bolton Township, Cowley County, Kansas; roll T9-377, ED 170, page 459D, line #31, dwelling #107, family #108-109.
- Contribution from Donald Joseph Porter ().
- Ancestry Family Tree data "Desc of Nathaniel Merritt, Rev. War soldier" posted by "stemather" (Stephanie Mather: ).
- Contribution from Stephanie Mather ().
- 1854 Iowa state census, Jackson Township, Lee County, Iowa; roll IA-121, page 3, line #13.
- U.S. National Park Service - "Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System":
- "The History of Wapello County, Iowa"; Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878; http://www.ancestry.com.
- "The American Civil War Research Database", Ancestry, Inc.
- "History of Wapello County Iowa"; Chicago: The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1914; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1870 census, Chillicothe P.O., Cass Township, Wapello County, Iowa; page 45, line #8, dwelling #9, family #9.
- National Archives and Records Administration. "General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934":
"Civil War Pension Index". [database] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000.
- U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934; http://www.ancestry.com.
- Contribution from Donald Joseph Porter () citing:
Deaths recorded in an old family bible.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2017, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]