829. Cull Canyon to Ramage Peak (05/05/12)
Hikers (18): Alan, Carissa, Chinyet, Chris, Hailong, Iris, Jeff, Karl, Kirk, Peter M, Ross, Russell, Sarah, Shuli, Sophie, Stacy, Steve, Wendy
Distance: 24 miles
Rating: 5 difficulty, 9 beauty
Park info: Cull Canyon Regional Recreation Area near Castro Valley
Write-up by Steve -- Pictures by Karl and Iris
Now this is a good hike:
- 24 people started.
- 18 made it to Ramage Peak.
- 14 made it back to the start.
- Gold star to Alan, Kirk, and Shuli for retrieving the four who exited at the Chabot Staging Area.
- Honorable mention to Gloria, who brought Mexican beer and limes (and salt) to celebrate Cinco de Mayo--and then did a short hike with her friend and left the beer.
- Honorable mention to Thomas and Angelika, who replaced all the beer we didn't finish from Gloria with Spatan Optimator. You guys are welcome to do partial versions of my hikes any time!
- Less than honorable mention to Helen, who ditched the hike early to make sure she could attend an easier hike.
- A nod of wisdom to newbie Lindy, who wasn't prepared for the magnitude of the hike, and turned back early.
The EBMUD maps leave a lot to the imagination
Many would later long for some cool water like this.
Cull Canyon segment
If you took the right route, this was unnecessary!
Note the blue sign pointing left. That's where the real trail goes. . .
. . .but if you went that way, you'd miss flowery Dinosaur Ridge.
Some of the trails were a bit overgrown
Mighty Ramage Peak
Las Trampas from Ramage Peak
No matter how much we waved, the helicopter wouldn't pick us up
The upshot of going slow is better late-day lighting effects
Shuli's 70th leaf
Stacy's 90th leaf
Pages maintained by Steve Walstra,
Peter Saviz, and
©2019 Intrepid Northern California Hikers