John Hubbard Hinshaw

                                              ┌── William Hinshaw
                                              │    1789-1854 
                        ┌── Michael Hinshaw ──┤
                        │    1816-1884        │
                        │                     └── Ruth Hinshaw
                        │                          1791-1836 
John Hubbard Hinshaw ───┤
B: 1857                 │                     ┌── Josiah Kemp
D: 1882                 │                     │
                        └── Rachel Kemp ──────┤
                             1821-1895        │
                                              └── Dinah Moon
John Hubbard Hinshaw     [ID 00528] Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view: Ahnentafel View

John Hubbard Hinshaw1,2 [John W. Hinshaw3].

Born Sep 29 1857, Chatham County, North Carolina.1,2,4  

At Cane Creek MM on 3-6-1869 Dinah Unthank and Amy Hinshaw were minuted into membership at their own request, and minor brothers Milton W. and John H. Hinshaw were minuted into membership at the request of their parents.3,5  

John Hubbard Hinshaw died Dec 21 1882, Chatham County, North Carolina; buried Rocky River Cemetery, Chatham County, North Carolina.1,2,4  

John died in a cotton gin accident.2  His sister Ruth wrote a poem which chronicles his death:


The sad news of which I am going to tell Is so sad that one might long on it dwell. It is of a young man born of moderate fame; When about twenty five years of age to his death came. This young man was by a great many people known, And by many it is hoped that some good deed he had sown. He was of a large family, he had six sisters and two brothers, And he seemed to be of a sad countenance more than the others; Except one departed, he was the youngest brother and youngest child. When a boy he was of high spirits and very mild; When about nineteen years of age a merchant he wanted to be, And he went into that business before of age he was free, When first he engaged in trade, he dwelt at the house of his father, His occupation was a hard one and sometimes he was much bothered, But in the course of three or four years, from his father's he moved away, And until his death from his father's the most of his time did stay But it seemed that it still suited his notion to trade, And so in the merchandise business he was still engaged; Ho was attending to a cotton gin and got wounded on his right arm, And the wound was a bad one and to many did give alarm. As soon as possible two doctors were sent for, The wound was deep and extended nearly from shoulder to finger, And about two weeks before his death he was compelled to linger. During his illness much of the time did suffer much pain, But in the course of one week of his illness, some strength he did gain. The loss of blood from the wound was so very great, But through his illness with much patience did he wait;

He was very weak because the blood from the wound so much did flow; Sometimes he was delirious and not much did seem to know. At the time of the accident, not one of his relatives was near, But not so far distant but the sad account they could hear. The road from his father's to where he did stay Was a rough one and about fourteen miles away. Word was sent to his father's by a request of his, But he said do not tell Ma how bad it is, As soon as possible his Pa and one sister went, And to wait on him during his illness was his relative's intent. He had been taken to the house where he had boarded more than two years, And after his death, they talked that he seemed unto them very dear. He had been placed on a bed and on his back he did lie, And in that position he had to remain until he did die. Although cold weather, he was placed in a room away from the fire, And not much room there for many persons to remain or retire. The room in which he was placed, not being very comfortable or tight, For out of the sash were missing several window lights, On him the doctor did attend and everyday did come to see, Until death released him from his sufferings, and then he was free. After he was wounded and did suffer some days - more than one week - They said he must be moved, and another house for him they did seek, The man of the house talked that he wanted the people cleared away, It seemed that they did not want him at the dwelling to stay The first report was that they intended to move him to the store For they did not want so much going in and out at the room door, But he was opposed to that and said he would not go, And his sisters were very much opposed to them doing so His friends and relatives thinking that at the dwelling house he might stay, Talked with them on the subject, but they said he should be moved that day.

But they failed to move him on the day which they did expect, And the day on which they set to move him was the next. They made preparation and lifted off the bed on which he did lie And put him on a bed (a matress [sic] on some plank) where he remained until he did die, In order to get him out of the room where he did stay They had to take down some of the petetion [sic] out of the way They took away some of the palings to get him out of the yard, And many persons seemed to think this looked very hard, They carried him on the bed and to the gin-house they did go, And a sad sight it was to behold, the readers all may know. After this he grew worse and worse so very fast That his life not many days longer did last, And after the move until death only by chloroform did he seen to find relief. And this sad move did cause his friends and relatives much grief, On being asked if he wanted to move he said he was going to stay right there, And to move him was one thing his friends and relatives could hardly bear. But the doctor concluded that it would much better be, And he himself concluded that from so much noise he wouls [sic] be free. But afterwards it was found he could not sleep, And then, Oh! how his friends and relatives did begin to weep. And then for another doctor they did send, But never more did he seem to rest or mend. I told them I could not bear the stove ,he said And the stove being in the gin house he seemed to dread. He said to his sister one day, "what troubles you so?" It seemed his suffering he did not intend his relatives should know. He said that you need not bother yourself about me, And in his last hours he was not anxious his sisters to see. For several days his sufferings seemed to be very great

And he bore them with much patience though in a sad state, On being told that the doctor said he was very bad, He remarked, "it is just as it is", which was very sad. One or two days before his death he seemed to knoe [sic] death was near, But did not seem to dread death, or anything seem to fear, "Good-bye Pa" was very near the last word he said; Only under the influence of chloroform could he keep still on the bed, For two or three days he had cramps and spasms one after another, And in one of the cramps or spasms died- the dear brother. The lock jaw was brought on from the wound of the cotton gin, And no person ever told his relatives when this disease did begin, the lock jaw was the fatal disease of which he did die, And he has returned to the dust and in his grave doth he lie. His body was laid in the church yard at Rocky River, where he was a member And his death by many friends and relatives will long be remembered. Michael and Rachel Hinshaw were his parents names And the sur-names of many relatives were the same. He was born 29th of the 9th month, 1857, and died 21st. of 12th month, 1882; He lived to age of 25 years two months and days 22. J.Hubbard Hinshaw was the young man's name, This composed by his sister Ruth, whose sur-name is the same.


  1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
  2. Family history and family group sheets contributed by Lester L. Hinshaw
  3. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
  4. Contribution from Waldo Hinshaw citing: "Rocky River Cemetery Listing",
    "Piedmont North Carolina Cemeteries, Volume 2". Mr & Mrs L S Hornaday Jr.
    Published 1990 by L S Hornaday, Burlington, NC 27217.
  5. U.S., Quaker Meeting Records, 1681-1935;

If you have additional information on this person, please share!

If you would like to be automatically notified by email whenever an update is made affecting this page then enter your email address and click the "Enter" button below:

Your Email Address:
Notify me whenever this page is updated
Do not notify me if this page is updated
Show me my current registered notification requests

How is this person related to other ancestors? To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor, and then click the "Enter" button below:

ID Number:

If you would like to save this person on your computer ▾ more...

HFA Home Page Return to HFA Home Page

Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.

Privacy Policies

This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.

[This page was computer generated]

Spambot Bait!