1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll 2.. Thomas Henshall (?-(c1631) 3... John Henshall (1611-(c1687) m Elizabeth - 4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth - 5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw 6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-(c1768) 7....... William Hinshaw (1759-1807) m Margaret Hunt (1765-1828) 8........ Uriah Hinshaw (1785-1843) m Mary Elizabeth Lewis (1783-1837) 9......... David Hinshaw (1818-1870) m Elizabeth Ann Lewis (1824-1888) 10.......... William Ezra Hinshaw (1855-1943) +Ruth Samantha "Mantie" Janeway (1860-1935) 11........... Sylvester E. Hinshaw (1876-1955) 11........... Orelia P. Hinshaw (1878-1957) 11........... Corild Hinshaw (1880-1883) 11........... Gertrude A. Hinshaw (1883-?) 11........... Jesse A. Hinshaw (1886-(c1890) 11........... Ruby Hinshaw (1888-1888) 11........... Ross Louis Hinshaw (1890-1925) 11........... Cyrus Taylor Hinshaw (1893-1969) 11........... Ernest Enoch Hinshaw (1895-1978) 11........... Ruth E. Hinshaw (1898-) +Georgia Logan (c1865-?) +Mitilda - (c1853-?)
|William Ezra Hinshaw     [ID 01392]||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view:|
(William Ezra Hinshaw)59,63,126,a    (Ezra Hinshaw)205,b
Born Mar 5 1855, Lynn Grove MM, Newton, Jasper County, Iowa.59,63,205,a,c,d,e
He married Ruth Samantha "Mantie" Janeway, Oct 16 1875, Missouri.a,f,126,205,b,63    Ruth, daughter of Enoch Janeway & Phebe Hockett, was born Feb 26 1860, Iowa.205,f,c,d,g
Samantha's maternal grandmother was Ruth (Sopher) Hockett who had married Ezra's uncle Evan Hinshaw.205
Because Samantha's father, Enoch Janeway, would not agree to the marriage, they travelled to Missouri to marry.f
William and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 15 1880), living with an unidentified Francis & Almira Mitchell in Grant Township, Hardin County, Iowa:c
In a letter dated July 7th 1886, a Wilda Janeway said "Mantie had four children (that is Uncle Enoch's daughter)".    ...    "She and her husband have gone back to Iowa They don't like Texas".i
The following article was published in the "Kellogg Enterprise" (Kellogg, Iowa) on December 21, 1888:j
Mr. and Mrs. R.T. Hinshaw of Reasnor, and Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Hinshaw of Rushville, Sundayed in town.
At Center MM (Iowa) on 6-15-1889, W. E. Hinshaw, wife Ruth and children Sylvester E., Orelia P., Gertrude A., & Jesse A. were received on a certificate from Estacado MM, Texas.63
At Center MM (Iowa) on 4-20-1910, W. E. Hinshaw was dropped from membership.63
On Oct 23 1908 the following letter from William Ezra Hinshaw was published in "The Avalanche" newspaper of Lubbock, Texas:k
Boaz, New Mexico, Oct. 16, 08. To The Avalanche:
As some of my friends ask me to write them about the country, I take the opportunity of telling them through the Avalanche.
I will say to one and all I am well please with the country.    I landed here the first Sunday in April and had to build fence and break my land.    I have 60 acres of crop; corn, maize, kaffir corn, sorghum, watermelons etc; have sold more stuff for cash than any year I lived in Lubbock county and have 80 acres broke for crop next year.    I found plenty of water at a depth of 110 feet some get water near us at 40 feet.    There is plenty of fine land subject to homestead near town.    I raised watermelons that weighed 60 pounds.    Some corn crops on second year land is estimated at 50 bushels per acre.
W. E. HINSHAW
William and family were shown in the 1910 census (May 11-12 1910), Chaves County, New Mexico:d
It appears that William and Ruth were separated or divorced.    William apparently remarried sometime before 1920.    Ruth and daughter were shown in the 1930 census (Apr 16 1930), Chaves County, New Mexico:g
He then married Georgia Logan.n    Georgia was born about 1865, Illinois.n    Georgia had apparently been previously married, and had at least two sons.n
William was shown in the 1920 census, with a new wife and step children, living in Lubbock County, Texas:n
William was shown in the 1930 census (Apr 18 1930), apparently remarried again and living in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri:o
William Ezra Hinshaw died Nov 11 1943, Good Samaritan Hospital, Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona; age 88; buried Nov 16 1943, Greenwood Cemetery.e,a    Medical: William died due to injuries received in an auto accident Nov 9 1943.e
Photo: William Ezra Hinshaw death certificate e
59. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Iowa.
63. "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to [Iowa] Quaker Meeting Records", a microfiche in the LDS Family History Library.
126. Family group sheets from Annette L. Schmidt ()
205. "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
(a) Contribution from Claudia Wormley Wilson () citing:
records of Raymond Earl Wormley (1920-1997), probably information from his aunt Zola Alice Trout Cleverley.
(b) "The William Wade Hinshaw Index to Quaker Meeting Records" (Swathmore
College Index Card Collection); California Quaker Meetings; (Ramona MM);
microfilm number 0002149 in the LDS Family History Library.
(c) 1880 census index, Grant Township, Hardin County, Iowa; roll T9-0343, ED 126, page 489A, line #4, dwelling #113, family #114.
(d) 1910 census, Kenna Precinct, Chaves County, New Mexico; roll T624-913, ED 31, page 198B, line #74, dwelling #261, family #261.
(e) Death certificate of William E. Henshaw;
State of Arizona, Department of Health Services: http://genealogy.az.gov.
(f) Contribution from Cynthia Braze () citing
Letter from D.F. Janeway dated January 27, 1877.
(g) 1930 census, Lake Arthur Precinct, Chaves County, New Mexico; roll T626-1393, ED 18, page 3B, line #77, dwelling #54, family #58.
(h) Contribution from Christine Haw () citing:
an unpublished Phenix family history.
(i) Contribution from Cynthia Braze () citing
Letter from Wilda Janeway dated July 7, 1886.
(j) "Kellogg Enterprise", Dec 21 1888; http://www.ancestry.com.
(k) "The Avalanche" (Lubbock, Texas), Oct 23 1908, page 3; posted Jul 20 2004 by Betsy () to TXLUBBOC-L.
(l) 1910 census, Kenna Precinct, Chaves County, New Mexico; roll T624-913, ED 31, page 196B, line #61, dwelling #193, family #193.
(m) New Mexico Deaths, 1899-1940; USGenWeb Archives:
(n) 1920 census, Precinct 4, Lubbock County, Texas; roll T625-1829, ED 176, page 7A, line #26, dwelling #118, family #120.
(o) 1930 census, Springfield, North Campbell Township, Greene County, Missouri; roll T626-1189, ED 36, page 17A-17B, line #50, dwelling #418, family #418.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]