1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll
2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick
3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth -
4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth -
5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw
6...... William Hinshaw (1724-1814) m Sarah Courtney (1730-c1768)
7....... Ezra Hinshaw (1753-1836) m Ruth Marshill (1759-1857)
8........ William Hinshaw (1779-1869) m Lorohame Beeson (1786-1839)
9......... Mines Hinshaw (1824-1906)
+Mary Brower (1826-1886)
10.......... Noah Hinshaw (1850-1928) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
10.......... (infant son) (1852-1852) 1,2,3
10.......... Zeno Hinshaw (1853-1919) 1,2,3,4,5
10.......... Allen Hinshaw (1855-1897) 1,2,3,4,5
10.......... George Hinshaw (1857-1858) 1,2,3
10.......... Isabelle Hinshaw (1859-1942) 1,2,3,4,5,8,9
10.......... Emily Hinshaw (1860-1862) 1,2,3
10.......... Minnie Delilah Hinshaw (1862-1881) 1,2,3,5,8
10.......... Adam Brower Hinshaw (1866-1936) 1,2,3,5,8,10,11
Mines Hinshaw [ID 00833]
||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: |
Mines Hinshaw1 [Minus Hinshaw3,8,12,13,14, Minnis Hinshaw15].
Born Feb 1 18241,2,4,6,8,10,12,16 [about 18235], North Carolina1,2,4,6,8,10,12,16.
Tall and thin, Mines was friendly and likeable, but not as good looking as his brother James.3
At Marlborough MM on 4-2-1842, "Minus & Milton" were disowned.1
He married Mary Brower1,2,3,9,16 [Nancy "Mary" Bowers13, Nancy Brown12], 18441,2,3,9,16. Mary, daughter of Adam Brower & Charity Foust, was born 3-26-1826, North Carolina.1,2,3,4,5,8,16
Mines and his wife Mary were shown in the 1850 census, living with Mines' father William in Randolph County, North Carolina:15
, age 71, born in North Carolina; farmer; $3437 real estate.
Minnis Hinshaw, age 27, born in North Carolina.
Mary Hinshaw, age 17 [sic], born in North Carolina.
On Nov 23 1854, Mines was recorded as bondsman for the marriage bond of his nephew Newton Hinshaw.17
Minus and family were shown in the 1860 census (Aug 27 1860), Randolph County, North Carolina:4
Minus Hinshaw, age 36, born in North Carolina; farmer; $3000 real estate; $1250 personal property.
Mary Hinshaw, age 34; domestic.
Minus enlisted in the Confederacy on May 21 1864 at Camp Holmes in Raleigh, N.C.,2 joining as a private in Company K, 34th North Carolina Infantry.18,19 He deserted on Jun 15 1864.2
After the death of his father in 1869, Minus inherited his father's farm3 (Minus and Mary had been living with his father on the family farm since at least 1850).20 Minus became known within the county as a model farmer. He owned the area's first reaper and mowing machines.3
Minus and family were shown in the 1870 census (Jul 29 1870), Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina:5
Hinshaw, Minus, age 47, born in North Carolina; occupation: farmer; $2000 real estate; $1967 personal property.
Hinshaw, Mary, age 44, born in North Carolina; occupation: housekeeping.
, age 19, born in North Carolina; occupation: "Minus Hinshaw".
Hinshaw, ZenoThe above 1870 census record was recorded with the occupation column for son Noah showing "Minus Hinshaw", and immediately below in the occupation column for son Zeno "Trustee for Joseph Walker an Heir". It seems improbable that 17-year-old Zeno would have been a trustee - this might have been the census taker's attempt to record that Minus Hinshaw was a trustee for Joseph Walker, with $600 in real estate held in trust21 (the census form otherwise had no place to record real estate held in trust).
, age 17, born in North Carolina; occupation: "trustee for Joseph Walker an Heir"; $600 real estate.
Minus and family were shown in the 1880 census (Jun 2 1880), Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina:8
Hinshaw, Minus, age 56, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; farmer.
Hinshaw, Mary, wife, age 54, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; keeping house.
, daughter, age 21, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; attended school.
, daughter, age 17, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; attended school.
Hinshaw, AdamLiving next door in 1880 was the family of son Allen.22 one more house away was the family of son Zeno.23
, son, age 13, born in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; farm laborer; attended school.
Mary died 11-30-1886, Marlborough MM, North Carolina; buried New Salem United Methodist Church, Randleman, North Carolina.1,2
Widower Minus was shown in the 1900 census (Jun 15 1900), living in the household of son Adam in Morehead Township, Guilford County, North Carolina:10
Hinshaw, Adam B.
, head-of-household, age 35, born Dec 1866 in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; married 12 years; occupation: farmer; owned farm (free)..
, wife, [..age blank..], born Nov [..year blank..] in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; married 12 years; 1 child, none living.
Hinshaw, Minus, father, age 76, born Feb 1824 in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; widower; occupation: farm laborer.
Edwards, Joseph, boarder, age 20, born Sept 1879 in North Carolina; parents born in North Carolina; single; occupation: farm laborer.
Mines Hinshaw died May 13 1906, buried New Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery, New Salem, North Carolina.2,3,6,13,24
Photo: Mines Hinshaw gravestone New Salem Cemetery
- "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy",
by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
- Family group sheets from Randy Hunter ()
- "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph;
LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
- 1860 census, Cedar Falls P.O., Eastern Division, Randolph County, North Carolina; page 595, line #12, dwelling #1053, family #1053.
- 1870 census, Franklinsville P.O., Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll M593-1156, page 366, line #12, dwelling #283, family #265.
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
computerized Ancestral File.
- North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975; http://www.ancestry.com.
- 1880 census, Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll T9-0978, ED 216, page 95B, line #11, dwelling #13, family #13.
- Family Group sheets gathered at the 1992 Hinshaw reunion, submitted
- 1900 census, Morehead Township, Guilford County, North Carolina; roll T623-1198, ED 66, page 11B, line #59, dwelling #202, family #209.
- Guilford County, North Carolina, Register of Deeds:
- The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS)
International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
- Contribution from William Banks Hinshaw.
- Contribution from John Lennie Wilson ().
- 1850 census, Northern Division, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll M432-641, page 195, line #15, dwelling #458, family #458.
- "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting,
Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a
typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of
the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical
Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
- "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
- "Civil War Research Database", http://www.ancestry.com.
- U.S. National Park Service - "Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System":
- 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll 641, page 195, dwelling #458.
- 1880 census, Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll T9-0978, ED 216, page 95B, line #8, dwelling #12, family #12.
- 1880 census, Franklinsville Township, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll T9-0978, ED 216, page 95B, line #4, dwelling #11, family #11.
- Gravestone photo courtesy of Richard Alan Wood.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
This page last updated Sat Oct 22 14:15:45 2016
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
If you would like to save this person on your computer
Return to HFA Home Page
Copyright © 1997-2018, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses
from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]