+-- Thomas Hinshaw | c1680-? +-- Jacob Hinshaw ---+ | 1710-1796 | | +-- Mary Marshall | c1685-? Thomas Hinshaw -----+ B: c1749 | +-- Joseph Mackey D: 1825 | | +-- Rebecca Mackey --+ c1716-1796 | +-- Ann Sweethen M: Hannah Seasfield +-- Mary Hinshaw, c1767-1856 +-- Jacob Hinshaw, c1768-1811 +-- William Hinshaw, c1772-? +-- Jonathan Hinshaw, c1774-1859 +-- Thomas Hinshaw, 1775-1824 +-- Margaret Hinshaw, c1777-1846 +-- Elizabeth Hinshaw, 1778-c1860 +-- Rebecca Hinshaw, 1780-1864 +-- Benjamin Hinshaw, c1782-1829 +-- Hannah Hinshaw, 1782-? +-- Jane Hinshaw, 1785-1853
|Thomas Hinshaw     [ID 00166]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born about 1749.3,140    Thomas' birth date has been variously reported to be c1749, c1737, or c1740.    A newspaper article once even claimed Thomas was a twin of brother William (whose exact birth date is also unknown).5
The Cane Creek MM records show that on 1-5-1765 Thomas & Joseph Hinshaw were received on a certificate (not mentioning from where).    Presumably this refers to this Thomas as his brother was Joseph.2
A few months later, on 6-1-1765, Thomas Hinshaw was granted a certificate to Pennsylvania, presumably this Thomas since his father Jacob was living in Pennsylvania at the time.2
He married Hannah Seasfield, 1766.42,60    (Elinor Seafield)140,183    Hannah was born about 1745.42,140
On 10-11-1766, the Warrington MM recorded:42
"Thomas Hinshaw is joined in marriage with a young woman not of our society by a magistrate."He was disowned the next month and apparently never rejoined the Quakers, although he spent the rest of his life in Quaker communities.42
Thomas Hinshaw died May 26 1825, Surry County, North Carolina; buried Deep Creek Friends Cemetery, Yadkin County, North Carolina.42,140,141
Hannah died 1835, aged ninety.42,140
Photo: Gravestone of Thomas Hinshaw a
Photo: Gravestone next to Thomas Hinshaw apparently Hannah's a
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
3. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Ireland.
5. The "Daily Pantagraph", Sept 1 1908.
42. A manuscript titled "The Hinshaw Family" by Thomas D. Hamm - submitted by Fontella Hinshaw.
60. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) Family Registry Index - Hinshaw.
140. Family lineage contributed by Edwin Everett Hinshaw
141. Family group sheets contributed by Thornton Neal Hinshaw
183. "Hinshaw Family Genealogical Notes", apparently prepared for William Wade Hinshaw by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1571899, Items 7-8
(a) Photo courtesy of Bill Hinshaw.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]