Joseph Uriah Hinshaw

 1. William Henshall  m Margerie Gyll 
 2.. Thomas Henshall (?-c1631) m - Kendrick 
 3... John Henshall (1611-c1687) m Elizabeth - 
 4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth - 
 5..... Thomas Hinshaw (c1680-?) m Mary Marshall (c1685-?)
 6...... Jacob Hinshaw (1710-1796) m Rebecca Mackey (c1716-1796)
 7....... Benjamin Hinshaw (1738-1840) m Elisabeth Hinshaw (1750-1823)
 8........ Jacob A. Hinshaw (1778-1826) m Phebe Allen (1789-1869)
 9......... Solomon Hinshaw (1817-1873) m Rachel Hodgin (1819-1869)
10.......... Lindley Murry Hinshaw (1851-1913) m Mahala Jane Brumfield (1855-1926)
11........... Alva Ohler Hinshaw (1888-1953) m Mable Eisenhour (1892-1970)
12............ Joseph Uriah Hinshaw (1923-2015)
               +Dila Anzola (1920-1981)
13.............  Cynthia D. Hinshaw  1,2
13.............  Sandra L. Hinshaw (1960-) 1,2,3
Joseph Uriah Hinshaw     [ID 01285] Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view: Tree View

Born Dec 23 1923, Sorata, Bolivia.4,5,6,7,8  

He married Dila Anzola.1  Dila was born Apr 29 1920, La Palma, Colombia.2,9  

Dila died Nov 27 1981, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C.; age 61.1,2,9  

Dila's obituary was published in the "Washington Post" (Washington, D.C.) on Sunday, November 29, 19812 (see scan below).  

In 2001 Joseph was living in Arlington, Virginia.1  In 2007 Joseph was living in Alexandria, Virginia.10  

Joseph Uriah Hinshaw died Mar 13 2015, Springfield, Virginia; age 91.8,11  

Joseph's obituary was published in "The Washington Post" (Washington, D.C.) on March 25, 2015:11

Joseph U. Hinshaw, development bank official

Joseph U. Hinshaw, 91, who retired from the Inter-American Development Bank in 1989 as associate deputy advisory for external relations, a job involving media relations and writing and editing the bankís annual report, died March 13 at a retirement community in Springfield, Va.  The cause was complications from a stroke, said a daughter, Sandra Darville.  

Mr. Hinshaw was born to Quaker missionaries in Sorata, Bolivia.  In the 1950s, he worked in Washington for the old International News Service.  He joined the IADB in 1960 as a press officer.  He was a past board member of the National Alliance on Mental Illnessís Northern Virginia chapter and a past board president of the Northern Virginia Mental Health Instituteís advisory council.  In the 1990s, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors appointed him to the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board.

Daughter Sandra wrote the following memoir of her father:12

Joseph Uriah Hinshaw was a rock.  He was a giving and generous person, a hard-working, brilliant man who rarely said no to any request for help.  Modest and quiet, he was always there for his family, his friends and even strangers.  He once said he spoke only when he could make a pithy remark that would seem brilliant.  He was wryly funny, a charmer, at ease in all social situations, and instantly liked by most who met him.  

His background and origins were extraordinary.  He was born in 1923 to American Quaker missionaries in the Andean town of Sorata, Bolivia.  At six months he travelled alongside his family in a saddle bag by donkey to the town of Riberalta, Bolivia.  Here, his parents, Alva and Sarah Hinshaw, built a mission school and church that still thrive today.  He left to attend high school in the United States and upon a return visit at the age of 20, was forcibly conscripted into the Bolivian Army, a conscription that cost him his U.S. citizenship and required much legal wrangling to reinstate.  

His return to America and full citizenship was rewarded with an immediate draft notice for service in the U.S. Army, taking him to post-war Japan from 1945 to 1946.  He is probably the only conscientious objector to have served in both the Bolivian and U.S. Armies.  

Like millions of soldiers, he was a beneficiary of the GI Bill, graduating from the top-ranked Indiana University School of Journalism in 1950.  His first beat was writing obituaries for the Fort Wayne (Indiana) Journal Gazette.  

His fluency in Spanish and knowledge of Latin America next landed him a job in Washington, D.C.  From 1951 to 1960, he served as a foreign correspondent on Latin American affairs for the International News Service and later United Press International.  Among other things, he covered the rise of Fidel Castro (meeting and interviewing him), and covered two visits to Latin America by then Vice President Richard Nixon.  During one of these trips, Nixon was infamously subjected to stones thrown by a mob.  Undeterred, the pack of reporters, including Joe, jumped from their cars to shadow the motorcade and get closer to the "story."  

In those early years, the most important person he met was the beautiful and charismatic Dila Anzola, a young employee of the Colombian Embassy.  Dila and Joe married and lived happily until her death in 1981.  They lived a multicultural, active life of socializing, travelling, family dinners and raising their two daughters, Cynthia and Sandra.  Joe became very close to Dilaís large extended family, especially his mother in law "Cuca," (with whom he shared cigarettes and the occasional scotch on the rocks in her later years), and sisters, Esther, Lucila, Irene and Hilda, along with all of their children and grandchildren.  

For most of his married life, he was happily surrounded by women.  This changed around 1978, when a guy named Brian Darville showed up and hung around for eight years, eventually becoming his beloved son-in-law.  

Joe also kept in close touch with his family in Indiana, brothers and sisters -- Basil, James, Esther, Dorcas, Alice, and Sarah, their spouses and a growing brood of nieces and nephews, and later, grandnieces and -nephews.  His yearly summer visits to Indiana were a highlight that brought the group together to share, reminisce, laugh and to sometimes get an inside perspective on Washington.  His inquisitive reporter nature left a lasting impression on those young and old.  He will be remembered as the suave, bow-tie wearing uncle whose interest was genuine and who always took the time to learn about their lives.  

In 1960, Joe left reporting and moved into external relations, working as press officer for the Organization of American States, and then to the newly formed Inter-American Development Bank.  At the IDB, he had a long and successful career managing press relations and publications.  He retired from the Bank in 1989.  

He was a proud member of the National Press Club, achieving coveted 50 year "Owl" status.  He was a regular for lunches at the Press Club dining room, which he asserted had the best hamburger in Washington, D.C.  

In his retirement, he was able to focus his energies and talents on causes that were important to him.  He was a stalwart member of the Alliance for the Mentally Ill of Northern Virginia since its inception in the 1980s.  He was a Board Member of the Northern Virginia Mental Health Advisory Council from 1992-2001, also serving as its President.  He worked as an early Board Member of Pathway Homes, steering it from a small nonprofit to a significant local provider of housing solutions for the seriously mentally ill.  He sat on the Board of the Community Health Charities for 10 years.  He was appointed as the Mason District Representative on the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board Mental Health Committee from 1992-1998, where he overcame his lifelong aversion to public speaking.  

No task was unimportant for him.  He not only chaired organizations, but also stood at the Metro Station annually, handing out Combined Federal Campaign brochures to commuters, asking for contributions.  In 2001, he was very proud to receive the Ed and Vivian Brazill Leadership and Lifetime Commitment Award for enhancing the lives of individuals with mental health needs.  

Even though Joe was not a practicing Quaker, (Quaker habits went by the wayside in the Army, got sidetracked in College and were completely ignored during the cocktail and cigarette-fueled young newsman days), these values stayed with him forever.  He was a good man in the old fashioned sense: kind, soft-spoken, gentle, frank and honest.  He was a positive parent (a "C" from a high school freshman daughter merited an, "Oh, well, thatís a gentlemanís grade.").  He was the kind of father who dressed as a priest (Catholic!) to bury his two young daughters' hamster, who would buy his teenage girls the latest "Bread" album and bell bottom pants when their mom felt those were not really proper, and who invited myriad solo friends and acquaintances to festive dinners, not wanting anyone to spend a holiday alone.  

He maintained his Indiana roots, donating generously to the Indiana University School of Journalism and supporting the little Dunkirk Friends Church where his sister and mother were members.  

He loved the role of family patriarch and was a generous and supportive grandfather to his three grandchildren, Andrew, Carolyn and Joe.  He gamely attended concerts, plays, rugby matches, graduations, football, basketball and lacrosse games, swim meets and any other event that was important to the grandkids, often garbed in the perfect hat from his diverse collection or one of his snazzy bow ties.  

Into his 80s and 90s, he would walk into his local bank or the Greenspring "Cafť" and be treated like a celebrity.  He made and maintained lifelong friends.  His wonderful caregiver, Carol, was constantly maintaining his social schedule.  He had a close group of friends with whom he lunched, an IDB tradition he started by inviting a small group (Joaquin, Mauricio, Manuel, and others) to monthly lunches at the National Press Club.  He continued these regular lunches for over thirty years, taking the subway downtown well past a "reasonable" age.  He carried the lunch bunch over to a newfound and loyal "dinner bunch" at Greenspring, developing a core group of friends with whom he shared long, enjoyable dinners.  

His two oldest and best friends were fellow journalism students from I.U., Gene Miller and Bob Thompson.  Those three maintained their friendship through highly successful news careers (Bob - Hearst Bureau; Gene - Miami Herald).  They shared wonderful tales of young reporters loose in Washington, wild parties with Arthur Murray dance instructresses whose hours matched theirs, and the loss of apartment leases as a result of those parties.  But, of course, it was worth it.  

Joe never stopped growing and learning.  He was a great writer and the human dictionary.  Ask his daughters.  He gardened, cooked, could fix everything in the house and mastered the Apple computer upon his retirement after a lifetime spent hacking away at typewriters.  He loved books and had confidence in the value of a book to teach him anything he wanted to learn, whether it was fishing, the German language, French cooking (thank you, Julia Child), or plumbing repairs.  

His Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners were legendary feasts of Yorkshire puddings, roast beef, stuffed potatoes and a few "Latino" touches like "aji" and tamales.  He made a spectacular Nicoise Salad and exquisite paella.  He loved to try new things and once shocked his neighbors in Lake Barcroft by roasting a whole suckling pig on a spit hanging from a swing set in the back yard.  His fondness for cooking was matched by a fondness for eating, and he enjoyed learning about the local tastes and dishes during his travels, always bringing new ideas home to his kitchen and our great delight.  

As good a man as Joe was, he was not much of a churchgoer in his young adult and middle years.  This changed when he started attended the Falls Church Anglican Parish during his retirement.  He surprised his family when he invited them to attend his Baptism and confirmation in 2007.  The Sacrament was offered that day to a diverse group of children, teenagers, a few young adults and one very young, smiling 84 year old.  

His quiet demeanor hid an irrepressible, adventurous spirit.  He loved swimming wild surf in Ocean City, loved road trips and camping, and didnít stop travelling as he got older.  When his friend Gene Miller was diagnosed with terminal cancer, the two lifelong friends (then aged 77 and 82) and Caroline Heck, Geneís wife, went on a whirlwind trip to Australia and New Zealand, fulfilling a pact formed in college.  

In July 1992, Joe went back to Riberalta with niece, Judy.  Riberalta still had no cars and was still barely accessible, the best way to get there by small plane.  

Just four years ago, Joe took a cruise with his old friend Steve Guback that started in Rio de Janeiro and ended in Santiago, Chile, visiting many of the cities and sites he had seen as a young man working in international development.  Some of you may know that he had a stroke at the end of this trip, but surprised everyone by recovering through hard work in rehab.  

In his 90th year, he and his grandson Andrew flew to Indiana to attend a journalism school reunion in Bloomington.  Just last year, he was planning another cruise, but reluctantly was forced to retire his sailor hat and cane.  

More people than we know will miss this wonderful, good man.  It is a privilege to have called him our Father, Grandfather, Uncle and friend.

(photo)Photo: Joseph Uriah Hinshaw birth record American Consular Service 6

(photo)Photo: Joseph Uriah Hinshaw 8

(photo)Photo: Joseph Uriah Hinshaw newspaper article "The Amarillo Daily News" (Amarillo, Texas), Aug 16 1945 13

(photo)Photo: Dila Anzola Hinshaw death announcement "Washington Post", Nov 29 1981 2

Social Security information for Dila Anzola: 224-48-3271


  1. Contribution from Elizabeth Lee Hinshaw.
  2. "Washington Post", Nov 29 1981; "Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851-2003",
  3. Joseph Uriah Hinshaw obituary.
  4. Contribution from Julie Anne Ward () citing:
    "The Holloway Family" by Martha Stair, 1981.
  5. The old family bible of Chester Edward Hinshaw, containing family lineage information recorded by Rosina Harriet Hinshaw, contributed by Marion Hinshaw and Heather Hinshaw-Tomas.
  6. U.S., Consular Reports of Births, 1910-1949;
  7. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957;
  8. Joseph Uriah Hinshaw death notice; "Washington Post", Mar 18 2015:
  9. "Social Security Death Index" (as it is commonly called), derived from the Social Security Administration "Death Master File". See:
  10. Obituary of Dorcas Naomi (Hinshaw) Seawell.
  12. Contribution from Denise L. Hershberger ().
  13. "The Amarillo Daily News", Aug 16 1945;

If you have additional information on this person, please share!

If you would like to be automatically notified by email whenever an update is made affecting this page then enter your email address and click the "Enter" button below:

Your Email Address:
Notify me whenever this page is updated
Do not notify me if this page is updated
Show me my current registered notification requests

How is this person related to other ancestors? To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor, and then click the "Enter" button below:

ID Number:

If you would like to save this person on your computer ▾ more...

HFA Home Page Return to HFA Home Page

Copyright © 1997-2019, The Hinshaw Family Association. All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal, private and non-commercial uses.
Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.

Privacy Policies

This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.

[This page was computer generated]

Spambot Bait!