1. William Henshall m Margerie Gyll 2.. Thomas Henshall (?-(c1631) 3... John Henshall (1611-(c1687) m Elizabeth - 4.... William Hinshaw (?-1699) m Elizabeth - 5..... John Hinshaw (c1660->1768) m Elizabeth Belshaw 6...... Jesse Hinshaw (1720-1797) m Abigail Marshall (1724-1806) 7....... Jesse Hinshaw (1770-1846) +Mary Marshill (1773-1806) 8........ Ruth Hinshaw (1791-1836) 8........ Jacob Hinshaw (1793-?) 8........ Benjamin Hinshaw (1795-?) 8........ Jesse Hinshaw (1797-1875) 8........ Isaac Hinshaw (1799-1876) 8........ Margaret Hinshaw (1800-(c1846) 8........ John Hinshaw (1803-1868) 8........ Abigail Hinshaw (1804-1865) +Elizabeth Hinshaw (1780-1823) 8........ Rebecca Hinshaw (1809-1891) 8........ Mary Ann Hinshaw (1810-1891) 8........ Ira Hinshaw (1812-1892) 8........ Ann Hinshaw (1813-1828) 8........ Zeno Hinshaw (1815-1821) 8........ Jane Hinshaw (1817-1858) 8........ Barzilla Hinshaw (1819-1821) +Letitia Moss (c1785-?)
|Jesse Hinshaw     [ID 00061]||Click here to switch to Ancestror Tree view:|
Born 8-9-1770, Orange County, North Carolina.1,2,3,10,28,44,40,217
He married Mary Marshill, 10-7-1790, Cane Creek, North Carolina.    (Mary Marshall)1,2,10,28,40,44    Mary Marshill, daughter of Jacob Marshill & Margaret Cypert, was born 6-22-1773, Orange County, North Carolina.1,2,10,28,40,217,10
The Hinshaws and Marshills were apparently quite friendly.    Jesse married Mary, while his brother Benjamin married Mary's first cousin (once removed) Deborah; his first cousin Thomas married Deborah's sister Rebecca; his first cousin Ezra (Thomas's brother) married Deborah's other sister Ruth; (these three Marshill sisters married Hinshaws), and finally, and his second cousin Joseph married Mary's first cousin Ruth.    All of these Hinshaw-Marshill marriages occured within the sixteen-year timespan of 1774-1790.2
At Cane Creek MM on 9-3-1791, Mary Hinshaw (formerly Marshill) was disowned for her marriage out of unity.2
Mary Marshill died 5-6-1806, Cane Creek MM, North Carolina.2,28,217
Mary's father Jacob Marshill, in his will dated 6-26-1816 (proved May, 1818), leaves to "heir of my daughter Mary Hinshaw 5 shillings if demanded".    This will was witnessed and signed by "J. Hinshaw" (presumably Jesse).83
A will of one William Ward, dated March 19 1799, proved Feb. 1800, was witnessed by Jacob Marshill and Jesse Hinshaw, Jr.    Presumably William Ward was a friend or acquaintance of Jesse.83
He then married Elizabeth Hinshaw, Feb 18 1808.1,2,10,28,40    Elizabeth Hinshaw, daughter of Benjamin Hinshaw & Elizabeth Hinshaw, was born 9-29-1780, Chatham County, North Carolina.2,10,44,28,205,217
Jesse & Elizabeth were second cousins once removed.    At Cane Creek MM on 5-6-1809 Jesse was disowned for his marriage out of unity.2
Elizabeth Hinshaw died 4-18-1823, Cane Creek MM, North Carolina.2,1,28,217
He then married Letitia Moss, Nov 6 1823, Chatham County, North Carolina.1,28,36,44,a,205    (Letisha Moss)36,44    A marriage bond was recorded for Jesse Hinshaw & Letisha Moss on Nov 3 1823, Chatham County, North Carolina.36    Letitia was born about 1785, North Carolina.b
On 7-3-1824, at Cane Creek MM, Jesse Hinshaw was disowned for being "married out of unity (less than 12 mos after wife's death)".2
No issue from the third marriage.1,28,40
Issued a Cherokee Indian Agency Passport June 6, 1804:19
Presumed to be *this* Jesse Hinshaw, but could be: Jesse.
"Jesse Hinshaw has permission to pass thro [sic] that part of the Cherokee Nation on his way to Greene County State of Georgia he conducting in a peacable manner & in conformity to the Law regulating intercourse with the Indian Tribes.    (T. Meigs)".
Jesse Hinshaw died Aug 20 1846, Orange County, North Carolina.1,28,40,c
Widow Leitia Hinshaw is shown in the 1850 census (Sep 14 1850), Chatham County, North Carolina:d
Photo: Marriage certificate record for Jesse Hinshaw & Mary Marshill Cane Creek MM marriage records 217
Photo: Jesse Hinshaw family birth records Cane Creek MM Records 217
Photo: Jesse Hinshaw family death records Cane Creek MM Records 217
1. "The Hinshaw and Henshaw Families", by William Hinshaw; edited by Milo Custer; private printing, Bloomington, Illinois, 1911; Frank I. Miller Co., printers. LDS microfilm number 1402822.
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
3. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Ireland.
10. Myers, Albert Cook. "Immigration of Irish Quakers into Pennsylvania", Swarthmore, PA: 1902; GR929.3748 M99 in a local library.
19. "Passports of Southeastern Pioneers 1770-1823", Potter, GS 929.375 P86 in a local library.
28. "Hinshaw Chart and List" (1/1/68) by Ralph Edward Pike, from "Family Records of Morgan Co., Ind.", Public Library of Mooresville, Morgan Co., Indiana (LDS microfilm 1509501).
36. "North Carolina Marriage Bonds" fiche in the LDS Family History Library.
40. An untitled single-page typewritten document on yellow paper detailing Hinshaw lines of descent, author unknown - submitted by Fontella Hinshaw.
44. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
83. "Abstracts of Wills, Orange County, North Carolina", GR929.3756 S55 in a local library.
205. "Hinshaw Family": a collection of family group sheets by Edna Harvey Joseph; LDS FHL microfilm #1572018 items 8-10 and #1572019 items 1-4
217. Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
(a) "North Carolina Marriages to 1825" (www.ancestry.com).
(b) 1850 census, Upper Regiment, Chatham County, North Carolina; roll M432-624, page 380, line #5, dwelling #439, family #440.
(c) Contribution from William Banks Hinshaw.
(d) 1850 census, Upper Regiment, Chatham County, North Carolina; roll M432-624, page 380B, line #5, dwelling #439, family #440.
(e) 1850 census, Upper Regiment, Chatham County, North Carolina; roll M432-624, page 380B, line #8, dwelling #441, family #442.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]