+-- John Hinshaw | c1660->1768 +-- William Hinshaw --+ | 1724-1814 | | +-- Elizabeth Belshaw | Ezra Hinshaw ----+ B: 1753 | +-- Toby Courtney D: 1836 | | +-- Sarah Courtney ---+ 1730-c1768 | +-- Sarah Boyd M: Ruth Marshill +-- William Hinshaw, 1779-1869 +-- Thomas Zachariah Hinshaw, 1781-1831 +-- Ruth Hinshaw, 1783-1803 +-- Hannah Hinshaw, 1786-1856 +-- Sarah Hinshaw, 1789-1876 +-- Dinah Hinshaw, 1791-1870 +-- Rebecca Hinshaw, 1795-1873 +-- Anna Hinshaw, 1799-1830 +-- Mary Hinshaw, 1802-1866
|Ezra Hinshaw     [ID 00052]||Click here to switch to Ahnentafel view:|
Born 1-23-1753, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.2,3,30,64,93,217
An old book in this family contains the following handwritten statement:
"We landed in Cane Creek, Orange Co. N.C.    9 Mo 12 da 1768.
He married Ruth Marshill, 2-19-1778, Cane Creek, North Carolina.2,30,44,93,95    (Ruth Marshall)28,45,44,64    Ruth Marshill, daughter of William Marshill & Rebecca Dixon, was born 10-6-1759, Orange County, North Carolina.2,28,64,93,95,217
Ezra and Ruth's marriage certificate was witnessed by William Hinshaw, Mary Hinshaw, Jesse Hinshaw and Absalom Hinshaw; also William and Rebecca Marshill, John Marshill, Jacob Marshill, Peter Stout, Joseph Cloud, Samuel and Benjamin Piggott.185
The Hinshaws and Marshills were apparently quite friendly.    Ezra married Ruth, while his brother Thomas married Ruth's sister Rebecca, his first cousin Benjamin married Ruth's other sister Deborah (these three Marshill sisters married Hinshaws), and finally, Ezra' 1st cousin Jesse (Benjamin's brother) married Ruth's first cousin (once removed) Mary, and his second cousin Joseph married Ruth's first cousin Ruth.    All of these Hinshaw-Marshill marriages occured within the sixteen-year timespan of 1774-1790.2
Ezra Hinshaw died 11-26-1836, Cane Creek MM, North Carolina; buried Providence Friends PM Cemetery, Providence Township, Randolph County, North Carolina.2,30,64,93,127    (death date has also been reported as 11-23-1836,a which might be correct as a Providence cemetery record shows the date of his burial as 11-25-1836).b
Widow Ruth was shown in the 1850 census, Randolph County, North Carolina, living with her two grown spinster daughters:c
Photo: Marriage certificate record for Ezra Hinshaw & Ruth Marshill Cane Creek MM marriage records 217
Photo: Ezra Hinshaw family record Cane Creek MM Records 217
2. "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy", by William Wade Hinshaw, in many well-stocked libraries.
3. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Ireland.
28. "Hinshaw Chart and List" (1/1/68) by Ralph Edward Pike, from "Family Records of Morgan Co., Ind.", Public Library of Mooresville, Morgan Co., Indiana (LDS microfilm 1509501).
30. "Hinshaw-Bernard and Related Families" by Cordelia E. Bogue Wright, in the Family History Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS), microfiche #6019151.
44. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - North Carolina.
45. The Church Of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) International Genealogical Index (IGI) - Tennessee.
64. Registered Application Papers from the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), submitted by Joyce Loretta Caroline (Hinshaw) Berry of British Columbia, Canada.
93. "Family of William & Rebecca Dixon Marshill, Cane Creek Monthly Meeting, Orange County, N.C.", by Thomas W. Marshall (Washington D.C., 1945, a typewritten manuscript), from the National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution (Washington D.C.) "Marshill Family Genealogical Records 1700-1900", microfilm #0876559, item 5, in the LDS FHL.
95. "Charles and Hannah (Matson) Davis and their descendants" by Earl H. Davis, microfilm #1011836, Item 2, in the LDS Family History Library.
127. Family group sheets from Randy Hunter ()
185. "History and Genealogy of the Hinshaw Family", compiled by Joseph Calvin Hinshaw, 1967; with considerable content from William Perry Johnson, a noted genealogist hired by Joseph Calvin Hinshaw. Contributed by Bob Mount ()
217. Society of Friends, Cane Creek MM Records; LDS FHL microfilm #0371251
(a) "Genealogical Journal", Vol. 17, No. 1, Winter 1993;
Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogical Society.
(b) Contribution from Waldo Hinshaw citing: "Providence Cemetery Listing",
"Piedmont North Carolina Cemeteries, Volume IV". Mr & Mrs L S Hornaday Jr.
Published 1991 by L S Hornaday, Burlington, NC 27217.
(c) 1850 census, Northern Division, Randolph County, North Carolina; roll 641, page 231, dwelling #991.
(d) Contribution from Tim Walls () citing:
"Providence Township Cemeteries", Randolph County Genealogical Society; pg 231-232.
If you have additional information on this person, please share!
If you would like to be automatically notified by email
whenever an update
is made affecting this page then enter your email address
and click the "Enter" button below:
How is this person related to other ancestors?
To find out, enter the database ID number of another ancestor,
and then click the "Enter" button below:
Return to HFA Home Page
This site uses spambot thwarting technology to hide email addresses from all known email harvesting programs used by spammers.
[This page was computer generated]